I spotted a RACCOON! We have COONS! Please help. =(

MisfitMarie

Songster
5 Years
Oct 20, 2014
Portland, OR
I am new to suburbia. This large, tight neighborhood has quite possibly given me a false sense of security. In my ignorance, I gave my lovely little flock a now-insufficient coop in my backyard. There are openings that a rodent or small mammal could get through, but at the time, I figured it was secure enough...until tonight. I was outside, in my pajamas, shutting the coop up for the night. At approx. 9:45 PM, I spotted a raccoon!

It was walking towards me, in the dark, along the top of the fence. It was a mere four feet away, before I grabbed a rake and began banging on the coop, screaming at it. It ran away, but stopped another ten yards away before continuing on.

I grew up in a rural neighborhood, with chickens and the predators that followed them. I remember, as a child, precautions that were taken and traps that were made, but it's hazy. I am weary of guns, or weapons of any sort. I am afraid of them, but I know how to use them. I have about ten years of experience with rifles, shotguns, and handguns. I simply only prefer to use them in defense of my own property. In this tight neighborhood, I'm not exactly sure what I can get away with.

Advice needed. Suggestions are welcome. Please, help!

I adore my small flock of pullets... I'm FREAKING OUT after what I saw tonight...

I don't want to wake up one morning to find a raccoon has killed my chickens.
hit.gif

WHERE DO I START?

I'm sleeping downstairs tonight, with the window open... I'm a light-sleeper, and I will be able to hear any sort of ruckus that takes place...

Last edited:
I am new to suburbia. This large, tight neighborhood has quite possibly given me a false sense of security. In my ignorance, I gave my lovely little flock a now-insufficient coop in my backyard. There are openings that a rodent or small mammal could get through, but at the time, I figured it was secure enough...until tonight. I was outside, in my pajamas, shutting the coop up for the night. At approx. 9:45 PM, I spotted a raccoon!

It was walking towards me, in the dark, along the top of the fence. It was a mere four feet away, before I grabbed a rake and began banging on the coop, screaming at it. It ran away, but stopped another ten yards away before continuing on.

I grew up in a rural neighborhood, with chickens and the predators that followed them. I remember, as a child, precautions that were taken and traps that were made, but it's hazy. I am weary of guns, or weapons of any sort. I am afraid of them, but I know how to use them. I have about ten years of experience with rifles, shotguns, and handguns. I simply only prefer to use them in defense of my own property. In this tight neighborhood, I'm not exactly sure what I can get away with.

Advice needed. Suggestions are welcome. Please, help!

I adore my small flock of pullets... I'm FREAKING OUT after what I saw tonight...

I don't want to wake up one morning to find a raccoon has killed my chickens.
hit.gif

WHERE DO I START?

I'm sleeping downstairs tonight, with the window open... I'm a light-sleeper, and I will be able to hear any sort of ruckus that takes place...

Just get large live animal trap to catch it. You can use cat food, mash mellow, or can sardine as bait. Raccoon tend to travel by group so there may be other around.

If you have a flashing light source, hang it out near the coop tonight. It helps keep the predator away temporary.

Last edited:
As one who has lost chickens to raccoons, I feel your fear. I know it was just instinct but I highly recommend your reaction with the rake--I now believe that's part of why I haven't seen a 'coon in a long time, 'cause I think I connected, with that rake-like tool, and he/she went back to the coon community with a "watch out for that crazy chicken lady--she ain't messin' around" warning to stay away from here!
Of course, tightening up security, especially in the form of hardware cloth where you have gaps, is a great start. Take a good walk around your set-up, with a predator point of view, to see what can be improved. (And wait for other peeps to add their advice here.)

Trapping/killing this raccoon isn't going to keep the next one from getting to your chickens - and you never know when the next one will show up.

Fix the coop.

Thanks, everyone! I'm still a little panicked... sleeping right next the open window downstairs tonight.

I DO plan on fixing the coop, starting tomorrow and over my time off from work. In the daylight, I need to seal those openings and make a plan.

The traps will be implemented WHILE I make the improvements.

All great suggestions. I'm just panicked... I've raised my small flock from babies, and I would be devastated if a coon finished them off in one night...

I'm also freaked out having actually chanced upon one. I NEVER shut the coop up so late. What are the odds? Does this mean that my coop is being scouted by numerous coons, all waiting for the chance to strike?

hit.gif

Hi, I just spotted I think a raccoon when I came home after 9 p.m. tonight too! I saw this animal as I was driving into my driveway. It was standing in the driveway next to my coop. At first I thought it was a cat because we have a lot of cats from the neighbors. But when I look closer, it is bigger, and the eyes were red. I keep h My coop/run is not totally secure yet. It still has holes in the bottom that a small animal like a rat can get in (very similar to yours). My coop is just finished, and I just moved my flocks in there this week. I went to the store to get a different latch for the door because the one that was put in didn't work after only two days. I was freaking out because my coop was not locked. I was standing outside of my run/coop afraid to go in to find my girls dead. I am in Los Angeles, and I didn't think that we have raccoons here. I need help too. It was cold and dark, but I just put the new latch on. I am think of putting electric fencing, but I don't know how or what to buy. I don't have any skills in construction or the basic tool skills. I am trying to learn and read as much as I can since I have my chicks for the last three months. I am overwhelmed by so many predators out there. I already lost my Roc to a hawk when she was just 3 weeks, and two batam one silkie and one cochin to a squirrel. I raised my babies from days old chicks too, and I am scared like you that I would wake up one day to find my chicks are killed.

Hi, I just spotted I think a raccoon when I came home after 9 p.m. tonight too! I saw this animal as I was driving into my driveway. It was standing in the driveway next to my coop. At first I thought it was a cat because we have a lot of cats from the neighbors. But when I look closer, it is bigger, and the eyes were red. I keep h My coop/run is not totally secure yet. It still has holes in the bottom that a small animal like a rat can get in (very similar to yours). My coop is just finished, and I just moved my flocks in there this week. I went to the store to get a different latch for the door because the one that was put in didn't work after only two days. I was freaking out because my coop was not locked. I was standing outside of my run/coop afraid to go in to find my girls dead. I am in Los Angeles, and I didn't think that we have raccoons here. I need help too. It was cold and dark, but I just put the new latch on. I am think of putting electric fencing, but I don't know how or what to buy. I don't have any skills in construction or the basic tool skills. I am trying to learn and read as much as I can since I have my chicks for the last three months. I am overwhelmed by so many predators out there. I already lost my Roc to a hawk when she was just 3 weeks, and two batam one silkie and one cochin to a squirrel. I raised my babies from days old chicks too, and I am scared like you that I would wake up one day to find my chicks are killed.

That is so scary! I totally feel you!
hit.gif

What shall we do???

I'm waiting until sunrise.... and then doing what I can to prevent ANYTHING from getting in...

Keep me updated, mothertochicks! I checked on them just now, and they are all asleep.....but... but... BUT!!!
sad.png

In my experience, suburban raccoons aren't as much trouble as the rural variety. I live in a somewhat rural area and I know there are raccoons around, I've seen them and I'm pretty sure they know my chickens are there. But they don't go to any extraordinary efforts to get at my chickens. My hens go in at dusk and are locked tight in their coop. I'm sure a strong and determined raccoon could break in, maybe along the roof line. But they don't because there's other "softer" targets available, like bowls of dog food on the neighbor's back door. The other part of the equation is that I don't let them free-range until I get up in the morning and let them out of their run. By that time it's daylight, people are up, and the raccoons have settled back into their dens. So I'm good until a raccoon decides to chew through my SunTuf plastic roof panels.

Back
Top Bottom