I started converting my shed into a coop

The chicks have really grown fast, and the pen they were in is too small for them now. A secondary coop was the answer, so now there's one built inside the run. (The run still needs a little more work, but is nearly finished).

I moved the hen and chicks out there yesterday, and they're really enjoying the extra space. I didn't move the remaining eggs though, because she'd pushed them out of the nest and wasn't sitting on them anymore.

thumbsup.gif
nice

I can see your RIR's and looks like your Roo is a Barred Rock. What others do your have?
idunno.gif
jumpy.gif
I have to wait until I get home to see the videos. Sorry for your loses. I have been reading your post since you started it. Great job on the coop. I know it is too late for this suggestion but for the ventilation, you could have drilled holes in the soffitt that you already had. No cost.

goodpost.gif

Thanks.
cool.png

Besides the roo and RIRs you mentioned, I have;

two Copper Marans
one Cuckoo Maran
one Golden Comet
one Pencil Rock

The four chicks are all sired by this rooster (only one I currently have), and it appears that one is from the Golden Comet, one from a Copper Maran, and the other two from the RIRs.

I like a colorful flock, so this is working out well.
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
Hi - I googled 'how to convert a shed into a chicken coop' and found your thread by chance - I've really enjoyed reading it from the beginning through to the end - thank you for updating it
goodpost.gif

It's really nice to read your story from when you first started out and how you are learning as you go along. It's addictive isn't it - I started with 5 hens (all gone now) and now have 13 plus the chicks.

I've just had my first chicks recently too. We don't have a Cockerel (rooster) so I tried two methods - I purchased some day old chicks and popped them under a broody who had been sitting on rubber eggs for a month - she's adopted them without any problems and is a fantastic Mum.

My second method wasn't as successful - we popped 7 fertilised eggs under a broody Amber Star but of the 7 only 3 boy chicks made it, 2 girls hatched but died after pipping and two died in the shell. The little boys are very cute though.

I'm sorry you've lost some hens along the way but I'm sure they were happier for being free range whilst they were with us.

Keep on enjoying your hens - that's what it all about
D.gif

CrazyChickenLady (not CrazyChickenLad as it says of my profile
roll.png
)

Last edited:
Thanks CrazyChickenLady; I'm glad to hear you enjoyed reading about my journey.

One of the Copper Marans is sitting on eggs now, so there may be new developments soon.
cool.png

I think its great, I spend to much time trying to figure out how to build the coop so that everything is just right. My friends tell it is because I used to jump out of airplanes for a living, and after 15 years, I still want everything to work on the first time. Each time I see someone first or new coop, it inspires me A bit more to just bite the bullet and build a coop

I had that concern of doing something wrong too, but then I started listening to the experienced people who pointed out that the fancy options aren't always something that's actually required. I understand that it's more important for the small coops, where they live entirely in the coop and run, but mine only go into the coop to lay eggs and to sleep. They free range the rest of the time, so my coop doesn't have to be perfect.

I make it how I want it, and how I think it should work, and then I have to adjust to what the chickens actually do.
lau.gif

I got more birds yesterday!
wee.gif

I got a black Sumatra hen, and five Guinea keets,. These are my first Guineas, and so far they're pretty quiet and haven't lived up to their reputation. I'm guessing it may be because they're young, and they're new here.I'm keeping them locked up for a week or two, so they'll know where home base is, but I'm anxious to let them out

This is right after I let them out of their box, and they were looking around. My chickens were very curious about them, and you can see my Cuckoo Maran in the background checking them out.

The previous day I got an old bathtub insert from a friend, figuring it would be good shelter. I'm glad I did, because we had a short thunderstorm just a few hours after the birds got here, and they all went under there during the worst of it.

Their spot is next to the outside coop, where the little hen and chicks are. This view is looking through the open door of that coop.

The black Sumatra hen. She's pretty cool looking, and reminds me a lot of a Crow.

Some of the chicks were watching the new birds running around, but the little yellow one is more timid and just found a place to relax.

Back
Top Bottom