I sure hope this helps...... cause it is getting Pricey

lockedhearts

It's All About Chicken Math
12 Years
Apr 29, 2007
Georgia
So Gordy our Large, likely Giant Schnauer has toe infections in each inside toe on both front feet. This likely started as Yeast Infections (which I tried and tried to treat) but got worse (because he licks and licks and licks)

Anyway, one vet told me they had to come off, and quickly quoted $400 per toe (yep, got a second opinion..... ) He is on 2 different antibiotics(clindamycin and enfrolexin) and an antifungal medicine(ketaconazole). We had to cut back on the antifungal, it was upsetting his stomach and I was getting ill, having to wake up at 2 am to clean up dog puke
sickbyc.gif

We just did two weeks on the meds and I stopped today to get a second round , about croaked as it was almost $80, that is just the antibiotics, we cut the antifungal down to 1/3 what he was supposed to get.
I guess the first time, the fact he stayed for two days at the vets, they sedated him to clip his feet and get a closer look and the meds, I thought $150 was a bargain.
I never looked at my bill and realized how much just the meds were
ep.gif

I just hope that after this round he is declared healed , no more infection, cause it is almost as expensive as the surgery at this point
th.gif

It will all be worth it as long as he can keep his toes, the one on the right will never have a nail again, and possibly the one on the left will be nail less, but it will be better on him to keep them.

Awww, poor guy!! (thats your big black guy right?)
sad.png

I hope he heals this time! Those dang fungal infections are a witch to heal when they keep licking and keeping the area wet...
Did you try that collar so he cant reach his feet??

Can you put socks on him? I have a friend who had to do that for her dog who had something wrong with his feet. They triple socked him and duct-taped them at the top. He was not a happy camper that first few days but he got used to it and it did keep him from messing with them until they healed.

I hope he heals up and gets to keep his toes.

Quote:
I bought the "Cone of Shame" when he was neutered, he managed to bypass it and cause a blow-out in the area
th.gif

He is not licking the really bad one anymore, so it must be getting better, he occassionally licks the other one, so hoping the meds will fix it.

I thought about socks, but betting he would chew them off.

I hope so too. Enrofloxacin is not the cheapest drug when you're dosing a large dog! But believe it or not, it's not the most expensive either. We've had a few clients we've had to special order antibiotics for (based on culture results because the organism that was grown out was resistant to all the drugs we had on hand) and some of them have been extremely expensive. We're talking $400 for a bottle of injectable antibiotics! Or marbofloxacin, which is about $200 for 21 pills! Unfortunately, since these drugs are so expensive, the client usually has to pay for the entire bottle even if they only use part of it because no one else is going to use it and we really do try to use the less expensive drugs first if they are available.

Quote:
Yeah, he gets 4 Enrofloxacin a day and 2 Clindamyacin , as long as it works it is worth it, I just need to learn to read my vet bills so I don't get caught off guard.

Could you put some tea tree oil on the toes? It's antifungal and the smell and taste would stop him licking his feet. Also repels flies if the area is raw.

You could get some Vetricyn from the feed store and spray the feet with that too. My dog get fungal infections on his tail and that really helped. I even used it on myself for a dog bite on my finger ( got into the middle of 2 of my dogs and I was the one that got bit) worked well. The bite was starting to get infected and after 1 application its a lot better.Use it in addition to your antibotics.

Sorry about your dog.
hugs.gif

I heard something on TV the other day where a dog was chewing and licking it's feet till they got infected and they found that the dog was allergic to chicken and once they cut it of of it's diet it cleared up.
Just thought i would mention it.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom