I think an egg bound hen

Neets332

In the Brooder
Sep 9, 2023
She’s maybe 20 weeks. I’m not positive. She’s an Easter Egger.
Symptoms started today around 10 or 11 am so about 12 hours now.
Her vent has been contracting most of the day. Her tail feathers have been pointing down most of the day. She was in the coop majority of the day. I brought her in when she went below the coop around 4:30 pm and was having trouble staying awake.
She’s eating and drinking water.

I’ve had her secluded for about 6 hours. I gave her a tum crushed in her food. Then an Epsom bath for 30 minutes then dried and put her in a crate with nesting supplies, water, and food. It’s warm, quiet, and secluded. Her comb is bright red. She’s very quiet. She didn’t poop for 5 hours and then pooped dark brown/black with a little bit of clear liquid. I’ll add pictures of poop and chicken before I separated her. She’s in the back.

What else can I do? It’s almost midnight. I should add this is either her first egg or her second if she’s the one who laid the soft shell egg 2 days ago.

Attachments

• IMG_8023.jpeg
    IMG_8023.jpeg
    747.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_8033.jpeg
    IMG_8033.jpeg
    831 KB · Views: 24
When a chicken is egg bound they can’t poop because the exit pathway is the same for both poop and eggs.

The only thing I can suggest if you think she is eggbound to insert a gloved finger very carefully into her vent and feel for an egg. If you can feel a stuck egg then you know for sure and can keep up with the epsoms soaks and additional calcium. You’re doing all the right things so far.

Check her crop in the morning to make sure it’s empty.

If she's tolerant of you, next salt bath, run your fingers around her vent to see if you can feel an egg pushing. My girl took a very long soak when she was egg bound. I don't really remember how long, only that I left her in the bath until the egg came out, and occasionally felt to see if it was still there. I also had to force part of a tums into her early on.

Could you get photos of the droppings? That may be a good sign, but seeing them would help to know for sure.

Just keep up with the tums every couple hours. You could also pick up some calcium citrate with D3, that one is absorbed more quickly.

One of mine needed to go back out to the usual nesting boxes to lay it, too. Maybe letting her out but still watching her may help?

That poop is normal, isn't indicative of egg binding or any sort of infection. Giving us your location can increase our ability to help you.

Try giving this chicken treatment for heat or stress or shock to see if that revives her. One teaspoon sugar in one cup water with a pinch of salt and baking soda. Have her drink as much as possible by dipping her beak in it to show her it tastes good.

That poop is normal, isn't indicative of egg binding or any sort of infection. Giving us your location can increase our ability to help you.

Try giving this chicken treatment for heat or stress or shock to see if that revives her. One teaspoon sugar in one cup water with a pinch of salt and baking soda. Have her drink as much as possible by dipping her beak in it to show her it tastes good.
Northern California. It was a high of 90 yesterday. She went about 6 hours without pooping at all before releasing this in the next picture and then it was all watery after that until the last picture I posted.

Attachments

• IMG_8033.jpeg
    IMG_8033.jpeg
    831 KB · Views: 17

Back
Top Bottom