I think I just saw a chicken cry

Dapplepony

Songster
9 Years
Jul 19, 2010
Dear old Daisy is about ready to join her sister Scout in chicken heaven, so I brought Bridget over to say good bye. Bridget clucked softly a few times, then looked at me, and I saw the tears welling up in her eyes because she knew Daisy was dying. I stroked her gently and Bridget went under the horse trailer. I don't know if chickens really can cry, but to me, Bridget was crying.

ETA: RIP Daisy. We love you so very much.

Last edited:
Chickens may grieve, but they don't cry in the way we do. Meaning with sobs and tears. Just about all social animals grieve and mourn loss. Anyone who says they don't are simply ignorant. Emotions are hardwired into the brain. They are not an exclusive characteristic of humans.

so sorry about your hen.
hugs.gif

That breaks my heart. People that think a chicken doesn't have feelings are so ignorant. So sorry about your girl.

I agree, I had a hen that went to heaven.
She had a best friend that would always be by her side. The day after she died, her buddy looked EVERYWHERE for her friend. I felt so bad. they really loved each other.

Animals grieve. Maybe not like we do, but they feel loss.

This was my 19 year old Saddlebred, Stanley standing watch over the Spot that he last saw his best friend, Daisy when she had to be pts. He stood there calling for two days.

We finally sedated him out of compassion and concern for his health...

Animals grieve. Maybe not like we do, but they feel loss.

This was my 19 year old Saddlebred, Stanley standing watch over the Spot that he last saw his best friend, Daisy when she had to be pts. He stood there calling for two days.

We finally sedated him out of compassion and concern for his health...

Wow, that's so sad, but also very beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom