I think I picked a cockeral! Maybe three! Oops...

On you guys' question about partial barring. it's possible to have the barring hidden by other genes that cause white areas, like for example splash or recessive or dominant white[both'd hide it], but it is dominant and can not be carried invisibly, unless hidden by other genetics.

So if the bird doesn't show barring, most of the time, there is no barring, unless the barring is being hidden by something else, and then the bird would be mostly white.

Genetics of the unbarred male don't really matter much, either, black barred birds are Extended Black, which is very dominant. The only thing that could really mess with it would be a dominant white male[like a Leghorn], because dom-white covers everything. Even then the male birds may have barred leakage though.

Last edited:
On you guys' question about partial barring. it's possible to have the barring hidden by other genes that cause white areas, like for example splash or recessive or dominant white[both'd hide it], but it is dominant and can not be carried invisibly, unless hidden by other genetics. 

So if the bird doesn't show barring, it generally works the same way, unless the barring is being hidden by something.

So then considering what she said about calling and talking to the lady, is this chicken a sex link or not?

Not knowing the cochin mix parent's coloration, I can't be 100% sure, but if he is unbarred then, yes, the chick would be a sex link.

I wish I could remember what he looked like other than HUGE with feathery feet. I don't remember any barring like in a Barred Rock. I think he was a light color but that's about it. I won't call the lady back...I think she thinks I'm a bit nuts
smile.png
. I'll post pics in a couple weeks.

We'll just have to see how the chick turns out. If the cochin mix was light then any barring could have been hidden.

I'm not sure from the explanation but what are males with a single barred gene? Barred or unbarred?

For sex links using the barred gene, the mother must be barred or cuckoo and the father must be a solid color like blue, black, red, buff.

The boys will be barred from their mother (showing white dot on their heads) and the girls will be black with no dot on their head.

Last edited:
#1 is for sure a roo. From that cross [non-barred roo over barred hen] the cockerels will all be barred, and the hens will all be non-barred, that is why all the stripy chicks you saw were males.

A barred roo over a non-barred hen will give all barred offspring, though, but since you say the marans was the hen, the sex linked genetics should only give barred cockerels.
I agree with this. You have a sex link male for the first bird. If the seller has barred or cuckoo hens, but no barred roosters, any barred chicks are going to be males. The Cochin father would contribute a smaller comb, and the fact he's a black sex link, thus only has one copy of the barring gene, makes him darker colored than a pure barred rooster. The Cochin genetics may also make him slower to mature overall than a more production-bred bird.

Your other two birds are pullets, and you're correct that the straight comb on the EE makes her less likely to lay blue or green eggs
sad.png

I'm not sure from the explanation but what are males with a single barred gene? Barred or unbarred?
They are barred but the barring is thinner [and thus darker] than on males with two genes, looking like the barring on a female bird [because females can't have two].

Back
Top Bottom