I think I picked a cockeral! Maybe three! Oops...

Update on the barred bird. He did end up being a cockeral. He was a strange bird though and never looked like a cockeral until about 4 mos he started getting tail feathers but still walked very horizonally, like a hen. He ended up getting very unsteady on his feet, so I had him put down, fearing Mereks. I had a necropsy done and he had a development issue. His breast muscles were undersized and I suspect that is why he never looked quite right. The necropsy confirmed he was a roo.

I know this thread is old but I thought I'd update with pics of all the chicks as adults. They all have their 1 yr birthdays this month. This is Stella, she lays a small (compared to the rest of the flock) pinkish egg. Hopefully the size will increase with her age.

This is Cleo (short for Cleopatra, but she lost her eyeliner). She is the straight combed EE, and what a comb she has! She looks so comical with the fluffy muffs and beard and that comb! She lays me a large pinkish egg.

Then there is Pickles. She was such an elegant looking bird I just had to give her a silly name. She looked very feminine from the start. She lays a large, light brown egg.

And finally this is Pepper. She was the one who seemed a bit masculine as a 10 wk old chick. She grew into a very large, deep red hen with blue in her tail feathers. She lays a nice large, rich brown egg.

Backyard mutt chickens are fun. You never know what you're gonna get
pop.gif
til they grow up.

Back
Top Bottom