I think my 4 week old chicks are getting mange! HELP! HELP! HELP!

Sorry for the mites... Treatment will help, but you must keep the injured birds separated, including from one another, until they heal.
AND treat the whole flock for mites.

If you have a steamer, red mites are susceptible to high heat (140 F or 60 C).
You must get every crack in all surfaces.

There is a new product in the UK called "Elector". You can see it at Stopredmite.com

Diatomaceous Earth powder will not kill mites. It may have some value as a preventative, but once the mites are there it is useless.
Really? I've heard quite a few success stories from using DE on here. I've never had a big mite issue, but I would still use DE and wood ash and it appears to keep things in control. But it would be nice to hear of a nice natural kill agent for these suckers.

Really? I've heard quite a few success stories from using DE on here. I've never had a big mite issue, but I would still use DE and wood ash and it appears to keep things in control. But it would be nice to hear of a nice natural kill agent for these suckers.

I have seen lots of posts from people who say they have used DE and never had a mite infestation, which would make sense if it works to prevent. I've never seen a post from anyone claiming to have cleared up an existing infestation using nothing but DE. I used DE on my birds and pens years ago and never saw any improvement until I switched to Sevin dust, not natural but it actually kills the little suckers. We get a lot of barn swallow nests in our barn and they are full of mites, we knocked down a couple empty nests and bagged one with DE in a ziplock and one with Sevin , 24 hrs later there were still live mites crawling around in the DE, no live ones in the Sevin bag, that was proof enough for me.

Can you please tell me how the vet determined this was a case of mites? Just curious.

i don't know exactly but all of them had dark spots on their heads and that one was the worst so we got a mite treatment and they're getting better slowly

Sorry for the mites... Treatment will help, but you must keep the injured birds separated, including from one another, until they heal.
AND treat the whole flock for mites.

If you have a steamer, red mites are susceptible to high heat (140 F or 60 C).
You must get every crack in all surfaces.

There is a new product in the UK called "Elector". You can see it at Stopredmite.com
i live in tasmania, australia

why does every one think its peck marks on the little chick
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom