I think my chicken may actually be a T-Rex?

5-6 month old dom roo.
Back, tail, neck feathers pointy, long, shiny. Stature tall, lanky.
Acted like rooster:
-crowing
-making sounds to alert flock for food etc..
-started mating shortly after pic was taken

Yes I have definitely given her a few firm (but not too hard) flicks to prove that I'm the boss, but she recovers quickly and just gets mad about it. Now I just pick her up and talk gently to her which usually helps a little. Any word on if she looks like a rooster?

No, she's not a cockerel....no saddle feathers.

This dominant hen required a few smackdowns before she settled down. Never had a problem with her again. She grew to be a calm hen who never went broody, but was a consistent layer of very large eggs.

A broody hen will guard her eggs with her life. And will spend 23 1/2 hours a day on her nest.

The Broody Stink Eye will curl your toes.

Boss hen challenging rooster. He corrects her with a stern glare.

But he gives in and moves away.

Eventually he gained enough courage to challenge her

Then they share a meal.

Flock dynamics change on a daily basis and if you are dealing with a dominant hen (they will appear in flocks with no roosters), you will have to assert your position every time you approach the flock. Stand tall and make strong eye contact. Make yourself even taller by raising your hands over your head. Clap your hands to frighten her. Make her move away from you. However, if this hen continues to challenge you she needs to be removed from the flock. At 6.5 months I'd expect her to start laying. Or if this bird is a rooster you'd expect some crowing. Although certain individuals will develop differently.

I'm happy to know that she's a she! Thank you for all the great info! I will definitely try the eye contact and making myself look bigger :). All of your chickens are beautiful! I'm happy that they're such little individuals with different personalities, makes me love them even more! :)

So today I stared Willow right in the eyes and it worked! My 'mom look' must be more effective than I thought! :) :)

One question I have for you- is when Willow started being mean- what exactly was she doing?

We have a hen who likes being petted so much, she jumps up demandingly, and tugs on my sweatpants I wear to work with the flock to ask to be held. Unfortunately, usually with a piece of my skin attached.

I had huge bruises all over my thighs from her, and nothing deterred her persistence- no matter what. I had considered rehoming as I was getting pretty torn up. The one thing that has finally worked was changing over to snow pants when it became cold- she can't get her beak into them (and she does not hurt me anymore.) Eventually, she learned to just wait patiently to be picked up and has forgotten about being so demanding.

Back
Top Bottom