I think my chicken's sick!

When I feed my chickens rice I always cook it first. I don't really know if what your sister said is true, but I am not willing to take that chance.

Buddy...how is the bird now??? Is this the one living in the cardboard box in the garage??? Have you been able to find proper chicken feed yet?

Quote:
We had a young chicken that seem lethargic my wife I believe fed it some cider vinegar has anyone else tried this? Or know if there are medicinal properties in cider vinegar.

I read SandraChick Post Thanks that answered my question.

apple cider vinegar has been used for over a thousand years as an immune booster and "crud" remover. I use it on myself as well as chickens. It's also a good source of many vitamins--including potassium (which is good for me cuz I'm allergic to bananas, so I needed another good source to get some!)

Getting UNpasturized (with the mother) vinegar is best....pasturization cooks off most everything good about the cider. It can be found in healthfood stores and is slowly beginning to show up at some regular grocery stores. It should NOT be used in METAL waterers, and a typical dose is 1-2 tsp/gallon. The amount used runs the gambit---some use it all the time, some do 1week on and 1week off, others only use it if they have a sick bird (and every variation in between). It works wonders on chickens with colds (yes they get them), as it helps break up the phlem.

I also use garlic....it has natural antibiotic properties, keeps the water from getting slimy (especially in summer), immune booster also, and makes your coop smell like pizza . I just chop a fresh clove into little bits and put it in the reservoir...if a piece comes out the chickens eat it.

well...that's my 2cents
Sandra

Back
Top Bottom