I think my mom might have food poisoning.. Help!!!

chickenbarn-gal

Songster
9 Years
Jun 6, 2010
Michigan
On Thursday night, my mother ate a new type of bought chicken. (Not fried, very healthy & actually organic) She tried it out and liked it. Then she gave some to her dog. The next morning she woke up with a very bad stomach ache, she was very nauseated & She felt extremely weak, so she stayed in bed. Also that morning the dog threw up and was groaning the whole day. But now it is saturday, the dog is better, but my mom is not better at all. She is laying in bed and she is very weak, I keep giving her fluids and she drinks them. But she can't get food such a soup or else she throws up. (NOTE that she can drink water perfectly fine)
It's been almost 3 days and no improvement. We think it might be food poisoning, so we called our local Bronson Food poisonings center, and the lady said that she has the symptoms. She suggested to stay in bed and drink plenty of water..... We've been doing that and she isn't getting any getter!

Do you think it is food poisoning? How long should it last? Is this normal? What should I do? Should we take her to the emergency room if this doesn't get better?
PLEASE help me.
hit.gif

Last edited:
I suggest going setting up a doctor's appointment of if needed you should go to the ER right away. Food poisoning is no fun, I've had it once and I was just plain miserable.

Last edited:
"Should we take her to the emergency room if this doesn't get better?"

YES! If she hasn't kept anything at all down after three days she could be getting dehydrated.

Edit: Just reread and realized she is getting fluids. I would keep a close eye on her and if she gets worse or doesn't improve soon I would still take her in.

Last edited:
I've had food poisoning twice...not fun, and each time it took 3 days before I could get further than the bed, toilet, and trash can. Try and get her to sip Pedialyte or Gatorade...if she tries to take big drinks, she will get sick again. Little sips. If she's not better by Monday morning, I would def. get her into the doctor.

The worst case of food poisoning I had lasted 10 days just to get to the point of feeling 25% better. Your poor mom. It could be something else, too, and with pain like that and not being able to hold anything down, an ER trip would be justified. Better safe than sorry. I hope she gets some quick relief!

Take her to the doc if shes not feeling any better tomorrow...
Just to be safe..she may need some i.v. fluids or something...

I assume your mom can use her own judgment if she needs the emergency room or not. I would leave it up to her, since she's the mom. Obviously, if she passes out or something, of course call an ambulance, but otherwise I'd leave it up to your mother. Hope she feels better soon!
sad.png

I read to my mother all your answers (Thank you) and she quotes "I feel very blessed even though I don't feel well.... Thank you for caring." It helps us soooooo much to hear that we are not the only ones on the earth that are experiencing this. She says that she is starting to feel a little better (But she still looks very weak)... She says she feels about 30% better. Perhaps simple bed rest will do her good.
hmm.png
Thanks for all your answers (You have no idea how comforting it is!!!)
hmm.png
Thanks, and I'll keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom