I think my new flock has MG

Jan 1, 2020
Eastern North Carolina, USA
This is very unfortunate but I culled my last flock because they were showing symptoms of respiratory disease including, eye bubbling, rattled breathing, nasal discharge and sneezing. I never got them tested and I assumed it was MG so I culled my entire flock. I sanitized and built new pens and waited 6 months before getting any more chickens. All of my new flock are from NPIP certified breeders. Just had a cockerel having rattled breathing and culled immediately, now another rooster is having nasal discharge and eye bubbles. I’m thinking it’s MG once again, I have no idea how they became infected. I take all proper bio security measures, my pens are also bird proof and I don’t let anyone onto my property if they have chickens and are not NPIP certified. I’ve done everything I can think of to keep my chickens protected but it seems that it’s impossible. I wanted to raise and sell chicks and hatching eggs but that plan has been crushed once again. I’ve spent over $1000 on these chickens, some rare breeds and all bred to the SOP. I was planning to get NPIP certified soon. What is the least expensive way to get one tested to confirm that this is MG? If they are positive for MG is my only option to cull all of them? Could I sell them for meat? Is it possible that it isn’t MG and it’s something less concerning?

I am so sorry this is happening.
I would think a vet could test for MG but I know some states have a state lab.
I live in North Carolina and I think the closest vet and state lab would be in Raleigh NC. But I have no idea what to do exactly, I’ve never sent in birds for a necropsy before and I think getting the vet to test is very high priced. Just wondering what all my options are for getting them tested.

This is very unfortunate but I culled my last flock because they were showing symptoms of respiratory disease including, eye bubbling, rattled breathing, nasal discharge and sneezing. I never got them tested and I assumed it was MG so I culled my entire flock. I sanitized and built new pens and waited 6 months before getting any more chickens. All of my new flock are from NPIP certified breeders. Just had a cockerel having rattled breathing and culled immediately, now another rooster is having nasal discharge and eye bubbles. I’m thinking it’s MG once again, I have no idea how they became infected. I take all proper bio security measures, my pens are also bird proof and I don’t let anyone onto my property if they have chickens and are not NPIP certified. I’ve done everything I can think of to keep my chickens protected but it seems that it’s impossible. I wanted to raise and sell chicks and hatching eggs but that plan has been crushed once again. I’ve spent over $1000 on these chickens, some rare breeds and all bred to the SOP. I was planning to get NPIP certified soon. What is the least expensive way to get one tested to confirm that this is MG? If they are positive for MG is my only option to cull all of them? Could I sell them for meat? Is it possible that it isn’t MG and it’s something less concerning?
I'm based in the UK, I had a vet do a blood test on my chicken for mycoplasma, they sent it off to a lab to check for antibodies, cost me around £40. Not sure whether this test would work if your birds have been vaccinated as theyd already have the antibodies from that. Theres also a swab test that can be done on a bird that's symptomatic. It's worth getting on the phone to a vet at least to discuss what options are available.

I live in North Carolina and I think the closest vet and state lab would be in Raleigh NC. But I have no idea what to do exactly, I’ve never sent in birds for a necropsy before and I think getting the vet to test is very high priced. Just wondering what all my options are for getting them tested.
Call your state lab.
https://www.ncagr.gov/vet/ncvdl/

Unfortunately buying birds from NPIP people does not mean that they are disease-free.

How old are your current birds and how old were they when you bought them?
I have a trio 2 hens and a rooster I bought that were already a year old when I bought them and all the rest of my chickens I bought as chicks or hatching eggs. The chicks are 3 months and younger and the 1 year olds are probably 2 years old now. The first to show symptoms was a 3 month old rooster and now the 2 year old rooster is showing symptoms.

You do not have to cull for MG but you can not show or sell.

Back
Top Bottom