I WANT A ROOSTER BUT DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START!

Good luck, I've had no luck with more then one rooster . I too would divide the flock and have one rooster for each flock,

Good luck and have fun
1f425.png
1f423.png
1f425.png
1f423.png

The rooster pic I posted is a Easteregger (i think) His name Is Rocky rooster, and is a very good guy altho he gets upset if I catch a hen. I have caught him and held him to the ground for about 5 minutes ever one of those times, and I have his respect.
big_smile.png

The rooster pic I posted is a Easteregger (i think) His name Is Rocky rooster, and is a very good guy altho he gets upset if I catch a hen. I have caught him and held him to the ground for about 5 minutes ever one of those times, and I have his respect. :D

So I think you have a rir.
I thought Easteregger roosters were multi coloured? He looks like a heritage Rhode Island Red to me...very beautiful

Last edited:
Id be happy if he is.He was only about 6 months old in that picture. I bought him in a mixed bag of chickens at the feed store.I was only going by what some people here thought he might be.
Since I have 20 RIR pullets from Cackle he would make a nice daddy of new chicks.If any of my hens ever get broody.

If you were close I would send you my olive egger roosters in a heartbeat :D
I hand raise all of my birds so they have a good relationship with people before they go home. The temperment does pass to the chicks so I don't breed any mean birds and never had any turn bad :)
Roosters are smart birds (well most of the time) they can recognize the difference between over 100 people so they know who mom is and they know who shouldn't be in your yard :) with 30 hens I would say at most 3-5 the average being minimum 5 hens to a rooster and max being 10 that they can keep fertile and watch over but there is a pecking order and some roosters will be betas to the alpha rooster and you could probably get away with more than that if you wanted. I would stay away from game breeds like cubalayas and asils or shamos as they tend to have a drive to fight other roosters to the death and they are generally unpleasant birds. Anyways hope you find the right roosters :)

HI,
You did not say why you wanted a rooster. With white leghorns, they probably won't go broody. So if you want a rooster to get babies, you will need a few hens that will go broody for you. A solid black or red rooster might work good for you. If you only want a rooster to have a rooster, then one is plenty. Maybe two at the most. No more than that or the roosters will be bothering the hens too much.
If you get a mean or stupid rooster, get rid of him. Only keep a rooster/s that you don't have to watch every minute. My current flock has 2 roosters. One is a big Sussex and the other is a black Australorp. The Sussex when he first got here, he got stupid the first week and challenged me. Wrong move on his part. He learned quick though, now he mainly ignores me. The black one, is not fully mature yet, and I have not heard him crow yet, but he will.
Good luck to you :)

Back
Top Bottom