I WANT A ROOSTER BUT DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START!

Why do you want a rooster? What are your flock goals? What are you hoping to accomplish with your rooster? There is no reason to house them differently, but if you have more than one, you will likely need more space than recommended for your number of chickens. I would watch them closely to make sure they don't fight, and have a "plan B" if problems arise.

Ive only had chickens since last april.
But I have had a little experience with a couple roos. My first one I got last april with my first batch of chicks he is a wonderful Rooster I can't wait till he's full grown. His Crow is perfect and not to loud, and he takes great care of his girls.

I also bought 4 male and 20 female chicks last Sept.
The four cockerels came of age recently and one was Nasty jerking feathers out of the Pullets and that just didn't cut it in my coop so he found the Cooking Pot.
hmm.png

One of them Was bigger then the rest and my daughter decided she wanted a Rooster.His name became Colonel Sanders. Well she has 5 hens over a year old. Things did not go well for the Colonel.All the hens attacked the poor guy and she had to rescue him. It took over a month to integrate him.He is doing well now but it was a rough start.
As for the other 2 they are sharing duty with Rocky Rooster and all is fine for now.
I would say you need at least 3 Roosters. Leg horns are strong hens so Most of the regular breed would do. If you have to raise them just use normal integration methods and when its there time they will take care of business. My Cockerels are only 5 and a half months old and they are catching on already.
I could not tell you anything about integrating a grown Rooster into a flock.
D.gif

I want to raise chicks for new layers, and fryers. I have plenty of room on the farm, I have another shed that can be turned into another coop if need be, and a large barn also. Plan b is the freezer if have a fighter.

Two roosters would be able to cover your 30 hens. Ridgerunner (who is a very knowledgeable and respected member here) recommends having as few roosters as possible. You will need to keep a close eye on things if you house them all together. One option if you have enough room is to have two separate flocks, alternating their free range days. That's what I'm doing right now, but I may pare down to one smaller flock before next winter. (I had separated them because my one coop wasn't big enough to have all 20+ birds all winter. The roosters were getting along before then, but now that they've been apart all winter I'm not sure how things will go if they are out at the same time.)

Yes get 2 or 3 roos to go with ure flock but make sure they have enough room

Heres a pic of my rooster
hubby has decided we need 2 Sussex roos. I told him whatever but I get to pick them out cause I want pretty ones. So now we just gotta find the ones I want I just don't want white ones. I really want some silkies they are so cute.

Update
We just picked up 3 beautiful Easter egger roosters, they are absolutely beautiful,and so far very tame!! They will make a beautiful addition to the flock. They were all three raised together with other roosters and hens , and they all get along.

Back
Top Bottom