I want to free feed my chickens uncooked rice.

I was under the impression that rice was no longer thrown at weddings because the wild birds would ingest it and the rice would swell when the bird drank water, leading to ruptured crops and death.
Chickens and wild birds eat other kinds of uncooked grains and seeds, without having that problem. There is no reason why rice would be different.

A quick google search turns up many pages that say the swell & explode thing is a myth.

So I don't think OP needs to worry about that specific problem, just about the fact the rice is a very long way from a balanced chicken food nutritionally.

If this has any semblance of truth, I would be concerned that uncooked rice might pose a similar risk when fed to chickens.
Just thinking out loud…
Since chickens are birds, that was a reasonable thing to check: whether a danger to other birds is also a danger to chickens. But it turns out this one is not a danger for other birds or for chickens.

Hello,
I want to try an experiment with some of my older hens that don't lay regularly. I want to free feed them a diet of uncooked rice. The goal in this experiment is to get an egg with a white yolk. I have had them in Tanzania. They taste the same but look strange. I also want to raise an egg my friend can eat without getting a migraine headache.
I have read that chickens will eat uncooked rice. My problem is not knowing what sort of supplements I will need to add to complete their daily requirements. If I grind the rice will that make a difference.
They will be free to run around the pen to get fresh air and whatever bugs are in the area. The will not be gaged up but they will be segregated away from the rest of the flock.
I am just thinking this over and I figured I might as well ask this group for some opinion/ideas.
So what does the group have to offer?
Thanks
John

You would have to free range as well if not their egg production will reduce. Also too much rice can cause diarrhea and nasty vent feathers. As far as the old wives tale of exploding craws, this is false. Also make sure it's good quality rice. You can feed it raw or cooked. Grinding is not necessary.

I was under the impression that rice was no longer thrown at weddings because the wild birds would ingest it and the rice would swell when the bird drank water, leading to ruptured crops and death.
If this has any semblance of truth, I would be concerned that uncooked rice might pose a similar risk when fed to chickens.
Just thinking out loud…
All animals can eat uncooked rice just fine.
rice doesn't swell until about 160 degrees.

Just thinking out loud…

👇
Chickens and wild birds eat other kinds of uncooked grains and seeds, without having that problem. There is no reason why rice would be different.

A quick google search turns up many pages that say the swell & explode thing is a myth.
All animals can eat uncooked rice just fine.
rice doesn't swell until about 160 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom