I want to hatch this filthy egg

Fluster Cluck Acres

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Mar 26, 2020
Frederick, MD
image.jpg

image.jpg

I’ve wiped everything off that I could with a cloth. The egg is wet with manure and has some dried on. i tried so scrape some dried stuff off, but I can’t without being super forceful. Anything else I can do before putting it in the incubator? It’s from a special hen that I’ve been trying to hatch an egg from. She somehow manages to ALWAYS soil her eggs and she doesn’t lay often so that’s why this one has to go in.

Well.
I hatch duck eggs often.
So I know messy eggs.... lol

Wiping can have a detrimental effect on the bloom.... but sometimes needs to be done.

I usually use a paper towel dampened w water as close as possible to the temperature of the egg, and wipe as little, and as gently, as possible if that is the best method for that particular egg.
Usually that’s an egg that just has a spot or two that is yucky.

I honestly have found that the best way to clean a very dirty egg is to bring the egg to room temperature, and use room temp peroxide, a very soft toothbrush, and gently clean w the brush and peroxide.

I always carefully mark my “peroxide” vs “washed” eggs to monitor those that I need to clean before setting in the bator, and (I don’t have my notebook on hand atm but, generally)
The filthy eggs don’t hatch.
The eggs that are not filthy but also not really clean usually do ok.
The carefully washed eggs hatch at a lower rate than the carefully cleaned in peroxide eggs, but the difference is not substantial as long as the liquid is not cool or warm compared to the egg.

There are commercially available egg washes as well. I’ve never tried to use anything like that, so I can’t speak to their efficacy-

Also. Candle the egg before you do anything to it- if there is even the tiniest crack in a dirty shell..... you will likely not make it to hatch. You might make a week or two.... which is even more disappointing that stopping before you start :/

If that egg was mine, and I’d wiped it, I’d candle it, pop it in the bator and hope for the best
The next one, I’d probably try the peroxide wash if this one doesn’t make it -

Best of luck :love

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom