I was supposed to be a California White...

HBRRanchCO

Songster
Dec 15, 2017
Simla, CO
We got this chick as a baby fluff ball in March. She was supposed to be a California White. She is quite the character, first to fly up out of the brooder, first to fly up to perch on us ❤️ but she is not white. She has a few black spots like I’d expect. I thought maybe just strange coloring, but looking at pics today I realized I think she has the wrong comb to be a California White??

What do you think? If she isn’t a California White, what do you think she is? We call her Winter

CE92BAFE-B500-4BD5-A251-1B4BC7C6D8B9.jpeg

D27E21F2-83FC-4F0B-8DE2-BE2876D45F1C.jpeg

214E1F9D-D64F-4EBD-AA96-CA5579578AE0.jpeg

I’ve never seen an Easter Egger that color but I suppose it is possible! She doesn’t have the fluffy cheeks like the other EEs. No eggs yet, although I suspect she will be next. Her comb is redder now than in these pics. Most recent is the first one but that was a couple weeks ago. Of our new girls this year only one is laying so far, just started about a week ago. (Super cool, pretty olive green eggs from our Whiting True Green) Thank you for your thoughts!

I’ve never seen an Easter Egger that color but I suppose it is possible! She doesn’t have the fluffy cheeks like the other EEs. No eggs yet, although I suspect she will be next. Her comb is redder now than in these pics. Most recent is the first one but that was a couple weeks ago. Of our new girls this year only one is laying so far, just started about a week ago. (Super cool, pretty olive green eggs from our Whiting True Green) Thank you for your thoughts!

that's the thing about EE. They are a type, and not a breed. I had a hatchery EE that didn't have muffs or a beard... They can come in all colors, all comb types, any skin color... So long as they're a mix intended for colored eggs, then they're an EE.

Does she have a beard? Some pics looks like a little beard some pics look clean faced. My first though was a Splash Sumatra.

Frazz - Yes, I understand I just hadn’t seen one that colortype, Google has though!

Gray Farms - I don’t think she has a beard, but I’ll look closer when I’m out again. I just realized yesterday that she wasn’t what I had been assuming she was, so all this time I hadn’t been thinking of her as EE lol I’m having to turn my thinking around a bit now and look at her with new eyes today. I’ll look up splash Sumatra

Oh wow, I found a picture of a splash Sumatra that looks just like her! I can see why you thought that. I guess we will see if we can figure out what color egg she lays when she starts laying :)

Another suggestion I got is that she could be a Whiting True Blue. That hadn't crossed my mind before because we have a Whiting True Green hen who looks completely different. However, I remember when I was doing research on them back when they were baby chicks, that the WTG and WTB are like EEs in the sense that there are a ton of color varieties. So, having no cheek fluffs, I am going to say that I bet Winter is a WTG. That would also be a breed that I can see Murdoch's having in their bins (being more common than Sumatras). So I'm back to, I guess we wait to see what color her eggs are!

In the end I don't *really* care what her breed is, I am just curious and like to have an idea of what all my chickens are.

Back
Top Bottom