I woke up to a mess.Dead birds everywhere!Graphic! UPDATE!

RedRoosterFarm

**LOVE MY SERAMAS**
9 Years
Mar 25, 2010
Eatonville, Washington
Well I woke up to this at 5am. My ready to lay big light sussex hens,Blue Jersey Giants, Bantam Polish, BLRW and splash,Turkey pullets,Seramas,Cochins,Black Copper Marans. Over 25 dead and some still missing. I had my breeding program all together. We put double fences with hot wire top and bottom and the SOB still went over it. Hubby thinks Bobcat and I think big dog from neighborhood. The paw prints were huge. Left every bird and just shook them and played until they were dead.Not 1 was eaten and 2 no heads. I am so sick! This was a long hard road to get these prime birds. The SOB even got into each coop door and killed birds inside. Several with broken limbs and I had to put down. I am waiting tonight with gun loaded. This is my vent place. Thanks for listening. UPDATE BELOW PIC

52168_101_8059.jpg

Hey everyone,
This is an update. We believe the critters were caught. There were 2 dogs that were spotted killing some ducks down the street the same night mine were hit. Well I heard that someone got them. Not sure if they went to the pound or shot them. No problems lately. We now have a fence like 8 to 9 feet tall and a big flood light on at night and our dogs are now out side. Gun is loaded on the hutch waiting a kill.

I want you all to know I am so amazed with you ALL! The email,calls,offers of free hatching eggs,chickens like copper marans,BLRW,Coronations and more. Also offers to borrow chickens to get the eggs and the camera offers to use until I get the critters. I did take someone up on an offer of 1 breed I could not replace but the other offers I didnt need because I did have some chicks and eggs in the bator yet. Last night I about fell off my pc stool when a paypal notice came up. someone here sent me $ to get a camera. All I could do was cry and tell her thanks so much! I did not post to get free stuff I posted because you folks understood my pain and I am so glad I have you to go to. I have a camera picked out and will order it Monday after I call the camera place and make sure it will work with my set up here on my farm. I hope I can someday return the kindness you have all shown! Even just the notes that said they understood helped me so much! Things have been tough and to buy more fenceing was hard because my hubby last his job last year. But you do what you need to do. I will not post names of the people but you know who you are. My family appreciates you so very muchand so do I. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart. You are all so special.
Anna Ballard

Last edited:
Oh God!!! My heart breaks for you and for your poor birds. Such a horror -- no doubt you will be reeling for days. Like MississippiFarmBoy said, these aren't even my birds and I'm upset. And it looks like you did everthing possible with the hot wires and everything.

My best to you,
Jenny

If I were to guess I would think dog as well, as it looks like they were played with, not eaten. When my dogs have gotten a hold of chickens (years ago, now they are strictly segretated!) they would kill all in sight and play with them but not eat them. Most 'wild' predators will kill and eat, not to say they won't go after more than one or two birds if they're big enough or hungry enough!
I'm so sorry too, what an AWFUL thing to wake up to! Hope that you are able to find out what it was and replace your precious birds!

ETA: plus, Bobcat are not as big as a standard dog, they average aroung 35lbs I think, so if you have large prints, I'd lean toward dog as well....

Last edited:
How heartbreaking!
hit.gif
Look at the tracks...Bobcats retract their nails so nail impressions almost never show up in prints.

Dog... That is the work of a dog... A cat takes what it wants and eats it... I doesn't leave a mess like that... I say dog... Look for clawprint in the foot prints.. Cats claw retract... dogs don't. I would wait up and shoot to kill... Good luck... Feel free to send me a pic of the dead culprit!!! Dang... so sad for you... I can ship pity eggs when my hens are laying...

Back
Top Bottom