I would like to start a Beltsville group

Sorry to here about your Jake but yeah I guess that is better than a Jenny. I think I am going to try both I well probably eat the first couple to see of I can tell if my jale is doing his job, then incubate some, send some your way and then let one of the girls set on some of they choose to. I am also interested to see of they truly are parthenogenic, so I will probably separate one of my girls for a couple weeks and then incubate those eggs. hopefully everything goes well next spring/summer.

Both of my ladies started laying yesterday going to have an omelet in the morning and see if I can tell if they are fertile, if the continue to lay well I will probably throw some in the incubator in the next week or so. I don't think the Jake has quite figured it out yet but I did see him standing on one of the girls the other day, they both lay down for him, I guess it is a step in the right direction.

Both of my ladies started laying yesterday going to have an omelet in the morning and see if I can tell if they are fertile, if the continue to lay well I will probably throw some in the incubator in the next week or so. I don't think the Jake has quite figured it out yet but I did see him standing on one of the girls the other day, they both lay down for him, I guess it is a step in the right direction.

Is this thread still going? I am new to Beltsville White turkey raising, but dove right in. Got some eggs over the internet and hatched them - beautiful chicks are now 3 days old (7 out of 10 hatched :)).
Hmm, now what do I do? I don't know a first thing about turkey raising, but am doing a lot of research.

I raise quail (successfully for a while now), so i'm just treating these little birds as quail for now - they are in the nice warm brooder, doing great. One aggressive chick, pecking all the others, I feel like putting him in timeout!
Other chicks seem mellow and lovely!

Do I need to keep a certain ratio of boys to girls? I don't know if the girls will start laying this year, I hope so.

Anyway, I'd take some additional eggs, if anyone has any :)

Thanks!
Hope

Is this thread still going?  I am new to Beltsville White turkey raising, but dove right in.  Got some eggs over the internet and hatched them - beautiful chicks are now 3 days old (7 out of 10 hatched :)).
Hmm, now what do I do?  I don't know a first thing about turkey raising, but am doing a lot of research.

I raise quail (successfully for a while now), so i'm just treating these little birds as quail for now - they are in the nice warm brooder, doing great.  One aggressive chick, pecking all the others, I feel like putting him in timeout!
Other chicks seem mellow and lovely!

Do I need to keep a certain ratio of boys to girls?  I don't know if the girls will start laying this year, I hope so.

Anyway, I'd take some additional eggs, if anyone has any :)

Thanks!
Hope

I would believe you can still call this alive all though no one has posted for a while. I actually lost both of my Hens so I will not have any eggs this year. I did order two dozen more hatching eggs so hopefully I get a pretty good result. As far as ratio of male to female, I believe the run about the same as any other fowl, you could probably have as many as ten hens to a tom but I think probably 4-6 hens to a tom is probably optimal.

Yep, Will have pouts for pick up, may sell some eggs for cheap, as i am not sure how fertile, as this will be their first batch.
Been a rough winter as I lost 1 Tom and 2 Jake's. Frozen to the ground in minus degree temps in central PA.
So far have frozen pipes (no Water) for the last two weeks. Then to top it off the oil furnace quit working three weeks ago. Good thing we use a coal stove for primary heat.
Have a good day and take a shower for me.
Dennis

Back
Top Bottom