IA here

Hello
smile.png

New to the forum, have started looking thru some of the posts/threads, FAQ page, reviews, the learning center, and know I'm going to like it here.

I live in Central Iowa in the country - N of Ames, S of Fort Dodge - I've never raised a chicken in my life (though I know those who have, and I have a learning/working knowledge of what to do...kinda)

My hope is to begin chicken raising this 2013 spring.

And Salutation to any fellow Central Iowans!

Muscatine here! East and a little south of Davenport. We have 3 dogs, 4 ducks, and about a dozen chickens that will be getting harvested in a few weeks. We are also ordering some to replace our old layers and I am ordering some on the side for show. Also in the process of developing a second coop for my show birds. They are gonna be a trio of SC Brown Leghorns and a Silver Laced Polish!

Welcome! I wonder where all the regulars are? It's been quiet on this thread for a while.

All you new Iowa folks should check out the action going on with Iowa Blues! We have a club started and are working on the standard for the APA. Iowa Blues will be the March/April issue of Hobby Farms magazine as well.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/469317/iowa-blues-breed-thread-and-discussion/710#post_10401615

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-discussion-club-discussion/220#post_10361491

http://www.iowabluechickenclub.com/

A very warm welcome to our new thread users! I have not checked in in awhile but am glad you are all here!
welcome-byc.gif

one hatchery I have not seen mentioned yet is Welp in Bancroft.
i can tell you that Welp and most others "drop ship" their bantam varieties and maybe other breeds and hatcheries as well. I will not post the name here but if you message me, i will give you the name of the hatchery they get their bantams from, that you can order from as well. They do guarantee 100% live delivery of chicks!
maybe if we get temps up into the 40's, it will be safe to ship!
Eric

Just getting back to this thread for the first time in a long while. Spring is coming so I have chicks on the brain...now if the girls would just cooperate and start laying more regularly! Looking for some nice BLRW and Rhode Island Reds this spring...would like to buy fertile eggs or chicks from someone locally. PM me if you will have any.

I will be throwing some Jersey Giants in the incubator soon. The resulting chicks will be blue (black hens, splash rooster) My rooster is a good sized bird and VERY good to his girls. He has a good temperament with humans too.

Just getting back to this thread for the first time in a long while. Spring is coming so I have chicks on the brain...now if the girls would just cooperate and start laying more regularly! Looking for some nice BLRW and Rhode Island Reds this spring...would like to buy fertile eggs or chicks from someone locally. PM me if you will have any.

I will be throwing some Jersey Giants in the incubator soon. The resulting chicks will be blue (black hens, splash rooster) My rooster is a good sized bird and VERY good to his girls. He has a good temperament with humans too.
Hi ladies! Hope the winter is treating you well!

Back
Top Bottom