IA here

Welcome to all the "new" Iowa people! I'm not on here that much but feel free to message me. I live in Des Moines and right now have 42 eggs incubating. Jersey Giants and green egg layers plus two duck eggs =)

Welcome folks, I'm on pretty regular. I'm in in the Easter hatch too, have been for a couple years now. Always a good time! If you like Turkeys, we have a Cinco de Mayo Turkey hatch too.
wink.png

I haven't been to many swaps, but the Waverly one is pretty cool.

I raise Iowa Blues if anyone is looking for some
big_smile.png

Hi, I'm new to Iowa. We just moved to Whittemore, about 20-30 mins from Algona and Armstrong. I still have to find out if I am even allowed to have chickens here but was wondering if anyone had advice on good breeds for this area. Thanks all!

Is anyone here interested in having coturnix quail? I have 2 dozen of these quail eggs that are due to hatch next weekend. I hatched out their parents and kept some of their eggs before I gave the quail to my dad. I know these eggs are fertile.
But I'm not sure how many chicks I will end up with I usually hatch at about 70% rate. But I have never had my own eggs right here that didn't have to travel at all. So I'm hoping for a little better.
I would love to trade them for a dozen chicken hatching eggs. I think I like the orpingtons breed from what I read. They seem to be gentle But I would trade them for any gentle breed that lays med/large eggs. I don't want any banty type.
I would love to join the Easter hatchalong if possible and then after the chicks hatch they will go to my Mom. She's been wanting a couple of hens again for eggs and is willing to wait if I can find some that will hopefully be laying sometime late summer instead of buying laying hens.
I have a dozen "fertile" eggs from Whole Foods market in the incubator But I don't think they are really fertile or they had a real hard time shipping cause I candled at day 7 and saw nothing. These were going to my mom if they hatched even though I had no idea what kind they would be.

I know don't count your chicks before they hatch.
jumpy.gif
And normally I wouldn't but I'm thinking about the Easter hatchalong and want to get things in order beforehand if I do.

Hi, I'm new to Iowa. We just moved to Whittemore, about 20-30 mins from Algona and Armstrong. I still have to find out if I am even allowed to have chickens here but was wondering if anyone had advice on good breeds for this area. Thanks all!
Welcome! There are lots of great breeds that do well in Iowa, my advice is get a variety
big_smile.png

You are really close to Welp hatchery, they are great! I'd get a brown egg layer assortment to start, otherwise some Australorps, Rocks...Brahmas are good for cold weather too but don't lay as well.

Back
Top Bottom