IA here

Here they are

How did your hatch turn out? Congrats to everyone on the new babies! I have a bunch due next week and will set turkeys on the 7th.[/quote

I was happy with them! I had 10 out of 15 hatch and another one almost made it but I guess he ran out of energy. Two of the chicks are brown instead of

Black. Are they something different or just a variation?

Quote:
The original Iowa Blue were a variation of Silver Penciled. They got their name because the hens look blue from a distance with their blue grey fluff. Somewhere along the line the hatcheries decided the color was Birchen because the adult male plumage looks very similar. And so now we have both varieties. Actually the Iowa Blue Chicken Club has just voted in the new proposed Standard of Perfection with both types. The Silver Penciled variety is the one most people are going for and are very hard to come by. My current flock produces both because my male is split Birchen/Silver Penciled and I have 5 pure SP hens. By the end of summer I will have a good sized flock of pure breeding SPs and eventually pure Birchen. Check out the link in my signature if you'd like to find out more and see pictures. You should also join us on the Iowa Blue thread and definately post pictures!

Heeeyyyyy all, I haven't been here in a long time. Haven't had any chicken questions lately I guess. :)

Anyway, I need some more chickens! Does anyone in the Iowa City area or within 45 minutes drive, have any pullets or younger hens for sale?

Back
Top Bottom