IA here

Ottbjumper, I'm looking for friendly layers. So far I have a Buff Orphington, a Light Brahma, an Easter Egger, and a Black Australorp. They all get along extremely well even though the BO was a later addition, so friendliness is a top requirement. I do have a soft spot for fluffy feathers and unusually colored eggs though, so a Marans, an Easter Egger, a Cochin or another Brahma woudn't go amiss.
wink.png
Just a suggestion; another breed you may wish to consider are Favorelles. They are very gentle/docile cold hardy, and good layers. Some of their eggs may be a pink hue. The males are gentle too. (As with any breed there may be an exception), but they are not aggressive and can sometimes be bullied by other breeds.
ETA: they are available in LF and BTM. they are also excellent show birds/showmanship for children owing to their docile nature

Last edited:
"Did you try Jason, in Forest City? he probably has exactly what you're looking for. It's Jason Foell, but I can't think of his username on here! Try Iajake?"

Huh, I've never heard of them! If I can find him here I would really like to take a look.
Sorry, just now checking in... look for IAJake on here or Iowaboypoultry on FB. Please message me and I can give you more info.

Oh no! Hope your original flock remains healthy. I had a similar situation back in July. A lady from Nebraska was selling pullets and young hens. I bought two SLW from her and one EE. She was driving to Iowa and we met half way, so I wasn't able to see her other birds/pens/coops. On the way home one of the SLW was sneezing. I immediately had a bad feeling. I get them home and all three go into quarantine. The next day the same bird that was sneezing began to have a rattle when she breathed. Also, all three had a good case of lice. I messaged the lady and asked her if any of her birds had been sick, she said no. Ha! I asked her if I drove the 3 hour drive to return the birds if she would take them back. She said no. So, I was stuck with three sick birds. All three birds ended up sneezing and rattling. My husband ended up culling them for the safety of my current flock. I had a very strong suspicion of MG.

Lesson learned. Do not buy birds off of Craigslist! From there on I vowed I would only purchase eggs and day old chicks.

Thanks for the replies on County Line Hatchery. I won't be showing birds, but I am wanting some good looking girls. I'm really wanting to go with a breeder, but I can't find someone right now who either has stock or who is willing to sell to me. =(

Another reason, working with 4-H kids and their parents, I tell them: NEVER BUY POULTRY AT AUCTIONS! NEVER! Ask here for people who have the breeds and are dedicated breeders and show winners for their efforts. If you want to sell at auction that's different, I have been to these auctions and seen the miserable condition of these birds and would not go near them with a 30 foot pole! You are just asking for trouble. You are getting someone else's cast offs. At poultry shows I have seen sick birds for sale too, but most breeders are selling good birds that may not meet their type or quality standard but does not mean they are bad birds. And they are vet inspected at poultry shows. Usually.
You can never be 100% sure, but it's a safer bet to buy at a show or at a place like Waverly.

Just a suggestion;  another breed you may wish to consider are Favorelles.  They are very gentle/docile cold hardy, and good layers.  Some of their eggs may be a pink hue.  The males are gentle too.  (As with any breed there may be an exception), but they are not aggressive and can sometimes be bullied by other breeds.
ETA:  they are available in LF and BTM.  they are also excellent show birds/showmanship for children owing to their docile nature

Favrelles are another breed I'd love to have. :)

I don't have much more space so I can only get about two more hens...Unless I want to make a new coop! ...And that's far too tempting! :D I'd love to attend a show or two either way, they look like a lot of fun.

Many of us will be exhibiting or attending the Iowa City show. It will be the last show of the season and a good time to see some birds and buy. The show site is easy to find, it is a travel committment but you will have fun and the chance to purchase some birds. The show is last weekend in Nov.

EIPA was a good show. Plan for the Weekend after Thanksgiving next year for a good poultry experience. Trish and many others did a great job setting up and cleaning up. Iowa Blues had a nice table and drawing set up. Poultry supply vendor was there too. I always have a good time there.

Thanks, Craig! The Iowa Blue movement is sure going strong! Even if you have never shown before, a poultry show is a sight to see for any poultry enthusiast.

Back
Top Bottom