IA here

Pics
Farmgirlie;

That is a sad thing about your chicks. They should make it right if you notify them. Usually, the big hatcheries, in Iowa, work in conjunction with other hatcheries in warmer climates. The larger hatcheries only raise meat birds during the off season or winter months, if at all.

Wren;

Are there usually people selling birds outside as well?

Last edited:
Farmgirlie,

Boy I wish I knew you were going to do that. I always have dead chicks from Texas. Did you know they are shipped up to Minnesota before coming back to Iowa. I'm so sorry you have dead ones. I had an order of 25 bantams from Ideal once. They were all dead. That was the last time I ever ordered from them again.

Don't not order from McMurray. If you look in the catalog there are certains months certains breeds are hatched. When I order March thru May I have always gotten them directly from McMurray. You can also request that they not drop ship any. Oh and they don't hatch ducks out at all. They come from CA.

Quote:
Thanks for letting me know. These were all breeds that hatched until Nov. so I thought they would come from IA. The lady on the phone finally admitted to my dad they were shipping from TX and that is why it took Wed. to Sat. to get them. I just don't think I will order anymore again. I will hatch out my own eggs or buy birds from people around IA that have ones I want and can't hatch out because I don't have that breed.

Does anybody on here going to the Iowa City show have any Araucana that they are going to sale there? Just wondering. That is one of the breeds I would love to get into. I hope to see some at the show. I have 1 that is Araucana/Cochin and she is like my fave chicken of all.

Last edited:
farmgirlie: Really sorry about those chicks. When I ordered from Welp here in IA last month mine came from New Mexico. I was lucky and all of mine were fine but of course it's colder now. I was worried sick I would find dead ones!!

Any one going to the Iowa City show interested in trading? I have a couple white cochins and some golden laced wydonettes. They are 6 weeks old and beautiful birds I just have 5 each of them and thought I could get some different breeds. I also have some silver spangled hamburgs I may consider. I am looking for silkies or frizzle, but would be open to almost anything.

I would LOVE to buy your golden laced wyandottes! I don't have much to trade, but I am going to the show. I have a few silkies but they are all quite young and I don't know their gender yet. I have blue, black, partridge and white. I know I have a white that is likely a roo. I have a bunch of barred frizzles, some Sicilian buttercups, and some young barred rock barnyard mixes. Also some young millie roos.

If any of those are of interest, let me know!

Quote:
Yes. The only problem is that I have to have girls. I've tried the rooster thing and I always have to rehome them. They attack my kids and I have a daycare and the liability is too much to even consider having another one. I didn't think about not getting girls. Let me think about taking a chance and getting a roo.
BTW...I have sicilian buttercups too but I love them so much I want to keep all of them. They are the sweetest things. All my chicks are pretty tame but they just go out of their way to love me.

How old are they? What color? Just wondering. I need for them to be close to my chicks age so they can be with them. I only have one coop....for now.
lau.gif
I also have a blueish grey white crested polish pullet. I got 3 of those.

Last edited:
They hatched on October 6. They will be 7 weeks old, tomorrow. They are barred rock in appearance. I have two splash but they are roos. The others are all barred rock looking frizzles. I can take pix if you want to see them. I also have two black frizzles with red tints to them that hatched on October 27.

Back
Top Bottom