IA here

I always seem to be adding one or two chickens to my flock... today it was a Porcelain silkie cockerel to go with my pullet!
roll.png

I can't wait till I have more land and can have too many chickens free ranging!
woot.gif
Right now we're just on one acre (still good), but surrounded by cornfields so we can't free range. But someday. . And no, no such thing as too many chickens.
big_smile.png

I got this flyer in my email. Not sure if I can put it on here but I'll attach the link, they can always take it down. I'm not any part of it and I didn't know the store was even there. I just thought I would pass it on to other Iowa's who may want to go.
It's Fam & City Supply chick days this weekend 22 & 23. They are on Army Post road in Des Moines.
check out the flyer below if you want. says they will have a limited supply of
•Red shouldered Yokohama
•Egyptian Fayoumi
•Iowa Blues

http://images.purinadifference.com/PDF/Farm_City_March_2014_chicken_event_big_john1.pdf

I was thinking someone was looking to get started or wanting some Iowa Blues? This may be a good place to start or ask.

Happy Spring!
jumpy.gif

That is tomorrow right? I can't tell with this cold weather..

I got this flyer in my email. Not sure if I can put it on here but I'll attach the link, they can always take it down. I'm not any part of it and I didn't know the store was even there. I just thought I would pass it on to other Iowa's who may want to go.
It's Fam & City Supply chick days this weekend 22 & 23. They are on Army Post road in Des Moines.
check out the flyer below if you want. says they will have a limited supply of
•Red shouldered Yokohama
•Egyptian Fayoumi
•Iowa Blues

http://images.purinadifference.com/PDF/Farm_City_March_2014_chicken_event_big_john1.pdf

I was thinking someone was looking to get started or wanting some Iowa Blues? This may be a good place to start or ask.

Happy Spring!
jumpy.gif

That is tomorrow right? I can't tell with this cold weather..
I wonder where they got their IB's... I'm assuming from a hatchery since they are sexed? If I wasn't so far away it would be interesting to attend.

For those of you looking for Iowa Blues based on the traditional birds, check out the breeder list on the Iowa Blue Chicken Club website. I'm not sure what the hatcheries are breeding for, but Iowa Blue chicks should not be black. If you see those, steer clear.

Kind of like Ameraucanas, if you want a true Ameraucana instead of a mixed breed Easter egger that lays colored eggs, buy from a breeder. I'm not a snob, mind you. I love my EEs and raise more every year, but I have SQ AMs too, and there is a big difference!!
big_smile.png

My Iowa Blues don't look much like they did when I got them from Welp and Privett 6 generations ago.
These girls were born brown with mottling and are the traditional Silver variety. Sorry for the dark picture.

These girls were born black and are Birchen based. I have a bunch, but no longer raise them.

I think the problem started because the roosters of both colors look very much alike.
This is Rex my Birchen rooster and my 2012 flock.

This is Bentley, of the Silver variety. The only real difference is the white on the wings.

However to mix things further, you can also get yellow chipmunk striped chicks that grow up like this: No wonder the hatcheries are confused
roll.png

The males look the same, but the females are very different.

Last edited:
Hello Iowa! I am iso just one or two chicks near Floyd, IA. I had one lonely chick hatch and it needs a buddy or two to snuggle up with. Prefer bantam size but if I can't find any quick ANY chick will do.
Thanks!

Hello Iowa! I am iso just one or two chicks near Floyd, IA. I had one lonely chick hatch and it needs a buddy or two to snuggle up with. Prefer bantam size but if I can't find any quick ANY chick will do.
Thanks!

Put a mirror and something snuggly in its brooder, it will act as the same thing :).

Thanks!

Put a mirror and something snuggly in its brooder, it will act as the same thing :).

Thatsa fabulous idea! IvI've got the snuggly fleece in there and that did quiet her down some. I'll get a mirror for her :)

Back
Top Bottom