IA here

I live maybe150 or more miles east of Exira, I doubt there would be too much problem having chickens there. It's a small Iowa town about half way between Des Moines & Omaha, with about 850 population. Probably not much more than a mile or two wide in any direction. Small Iowa towns are generally farm communities, farm friendly, & farm orientated. You might GOOGLE Exira, IA & discuss it with the cities fathers.

Jim
Thanks JIM, I emailed their mayor and she told me their ordinance is no livestock in town. :(

Looking for a home for 2 adult roosters. I would prefer they be pets, not supper, but once you get them...well, I don't have to know. BEAUTFUL RIR and SLW. Mature, and gentle. My 79 year old Mother had too many, and sent these two home with me. I already have a BR roo growing up to replace my lost SL roo, so don't need these guys. Please, can someone in the area come take them to a new home? I can post pics for anyone interested.We can deliver within 20 miles of Knoxville IOWA.

Hi all!
This is my second post. We are in Adel. Its about 20 minutes west of des moines.
First time chicken owners. We have the coop up and the chicks are currently occupying the "chick inn"

What kinds did you get, Luda? I'm about an hour North of you. Past couple of days have been weirdly cool, but my peas are loving the reprieve.

I just moved to shellsburg IA from cedar rapids. Getting ready to raise chickens for the first time. Just bought my first incubator and am looking for eggs now.

I personally love my red broilers. Theres another name for them (tip of my tongue) but they reach maturity at 12 weeks, are around 6-7 pounds and average layers. My pair are adorable together and definitly the sweetest! I actually am trying to get therapy animal certification for my girl, Ranger.

Ok, now I've become dumping ground for unwanted roosters! Mom gave me a RIR and a SLW, then when I got home from a week at camp, a crate of three more roos was sitting on my coop steps. This is just ridiculous. I don't need 5 roosters!!!! The new additions have thier spurs clipped, There's a
fl.gif
a tall orange bird and two fluffy white roos. PLEASE! I know we are all about biosecurity right now, but won't SOMEBODY take pity on me and take a roo home? They are all nice birds. The two from my mom are in need of TLC, having toes missing from winter exposure, and they all need a good dusting for vermin, but have no other health issues that I am aware of. PLEASE, isn't there someone who could take these boys? Love em, or Eat em, it matters not to me.
he.gif

Wish I could help! Recently my city-girl mom connected the dots of "Abby wants to hatch her own (Hen's) chicks" and "There's a 50% chance it's a girl chick!". I heard the first crow yesterday from my Cornish X broiler, Thanksgiving
D.gif
. It was adorable and pitiful, then he got the hang of it. Then this morning, two of my four Iowa Blue roosters started. It sounded like a raven was calling out. Then, in my third coop, I hear one of my silkies do a really nice crow. And again. And again. I looked under and see, not Woodstock or Sultan (suspected roos), but none other than Cora. My smallest and most docile "hen". I was so certain it would be a girl, he has a bright pink leg band AND a pink camouflage harness for going to the daycare... *sigh* Time to break out the sewing machine and make some No-Crow collars.
hu.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom