IA here

One of the big white roos has chased the orange roo and other white roo into the machine shed on the opposite end of the farm. Poor boys!!! all they want to do is be free and crow at the clouds... but instead they are stuck cowering behind a pile of old storm windows. I am just half a step away from introducing the whole bunch of em to the freezer!

Greetings from Webster City area. Just moved onto some acreage and would really like to build a coop in the barn so the girls have more room, plus to make the winter months easier to bear. Would like to do something fun that would give them enough run around room so they don't HAVE to go outside when it's cold. If anyone has pictures or suggestions for something that would take too long to build as summer is heading to a close, I would very much appreciate it.

Last edited:
Is anyone looking for free range Heritage turkeys? They'll be ready for the holidays!

Tiger Bronze

Tiger and sweetgrass

Tigers, sweetgrass and penciled sweetgrass

Good Afternoon -

If you are in some way connected to the Practical Farmers of Iowa, please continue - otherwise, please disregard this message.

My name is John Sjolinder. I am the county extension director for Cerro Gordo County. My counterpart (Lesley Milius - Floyd County Extension) and I are lining up presenters for our 2015 Horticulture Showcase being held at the Research Farm (Borlaug Center) near Nashua on September 19th.

Would you be interested in doing a 50-minute presentation about backyard chickens for our Showcase this year? The time slot is 1:00 pm.

The reason I am contacting you is that my contacts at Practical Farmers of Iowa stated that they knew someone from Charles City that knows a bunch about raising backyard chickens who might be a good presenter. I simply found one of your posts by googling "raising backyard chickens in Iowa."

About the Horticulture Showcase:

This event is held in the fall and showcases various Horticulture and related practices that interested folks would like to hear about. It starts about 9:30 am and runs until about 3:30 pm and includes lunch. After our portion of the day, Dr. Cindy Haynes from ISU provides a walking tour/lecture of the demonstration plot located right there at the Borlaug Center. It's an exceptional day of learning and networking. We typically have between 60 and 75 folks at the event. Break-out sessions usually have 15-25 people.

Thank you for considering the request. We need to know fairly soon so we can get full brochures sent out to folks.

I look forward to hearing from you!

John Sjolinder
ISU Extension and Outreach Cerro Gordo County
2023 S Federal Ave Mason City, IA 50401
641-423-0844
[email protected]

I dont have a picture of my in barn chicken coop, but when my chicks are too small, I take a few large wire sections (6Ft×6Ft) and barricade as much space as needed off in our barn( full of tools and tractors at this point) and put our dog igloo or a dog crate in there. I also have a seven-chicken coop that fits in easily (tractor on slats). The wire also works great for putting in roosts in the corners. I put 2×4s at the base to keep the litter in and keep it from moving.

Edit: Looks like I've found a home for these two!

We are located in a small town near Cedar Rapids, IA and have five chickens, but because of space constraints in the coop and run, we are looking to reduce our flock to 3 hens. We are looking for a good home for our Golden Buff and Delaware point-of-lay pullets (18 weeks). We had ordered more chicks from the hatchery than we would need, thinking that it would be easier to reduce the size of the flock at a later date rather than try to incorporate new birds into the group in case of a loss. However, all the birds have remained entirely healthy and disease-free and have been raised in a clean environment, and we simply want to make sure the chickens have enough room in their quarters to thrive. We are looking for experienced chicken-keepers who will give the birds a good, safe home and everything a chicken could want out of life. They will not go to a new home until we have found the right place for them! We are thinking of asking $15 each, as extra assurance that their new owners are willing and able to care for them. Please let me know if you are interested.

Last edited:
Hey every one Morning sun here. I'm thinking of getting some meat birds and was just wondering there food consumption, does any one know how much they eat? my RIR free free range mostly during the summer and go through a lot less feed. was also wondering if i should try different ways of feeding, like wet or fermented. any info or suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom