IA here

Pics
Quote:
It seem that Iowa, of all states, should understand the value of family-owned agriculture and small scale production for family use. I'm glad that Iowa City has not required you to remove your birds.
celebrate.gif

but that is just it! the code states that "livestock" is not allowed in city limits except with the written consent of the city council. my arguement was that our birds are not livestock. they are not production hens for meat or eggs, and this was not an agricultural business. they are our pets, we show them. and i was successful with this arguement.

Last edited:
but by what you said - the birds are just that, livestock that you are keeping as pets. the same can be said for mini-horse owners, rabbits and things that live outside, produce large amounts of fertilizer and such.
I am SOOOOO glad you are able to keep your birds and I hope you inspired others to get beautiful chickens too.
My daughter brought a rabbit and a rooster to school yesterday and the kids really enjoyed "talking" and petting the rooster. The roo was an older New Hampshire red, and he's like a puppy dog in the yard, comes when he's called, eats out of your hand and likes to be held and talked to.
chickens are better pets than people think
smile.png

Oh I just sent in an order for chicks from Sandhill. The 20.00 one where you get whatever they send. Not like I need any more chickens but I couldn't resist. lol I figure it is my reward for selling 53 chicks and two of our pygmy babies. Good excuse. Right?

Hello everyone, Was wondering if there are any swaps/sells coming up soon or if anyone in Eastern Iowa has Toulouse goslings or eggs that they would sell or trade.
I have a ton of adorable baby chicks and I don't think DH will let me hatch anything else out if I don't sell some soon. Alot of them are around 6 weeks old and you can pretty well tell if they are hens or roosters already. I just hatched out 12 silkies 10 black, 1 white and 1 I have no idea what it will look like its kind of piebald right now, not a good silky but I will keep it to see what it looks like later.

Anyway was hoping for a sell I could take these babies to and maybe pick up some geese!

Thanks
Melissa

The Burlington IA swap is coming up. It is June 14th. Bossynbella try craigslist or if your near the QC use qconlineauction. I have had several people lately come to me for chicks and chickens. Craigslist has been working the best for me lately.

Walker is having a swap on June 14 too
smile.png

WRONG DATE!!!

Walker is having a swap this sunday, june 7!!!!!

Last edited:
Lilandra, do you live near Walker? I'm about 5 miles away from the sale barn. I'm still going to Burlington though with a friend.

wow - we're practically neighbors..
I'm just north of Brandon
Burlington is a bit too far away for just looking, I do need to sell a bunch of red sex link rooster that were packing peanuts if a friend of the husband's doesn't get them by then
we've had a bad year of ordering from the hatchery this year and I am scrambling to find appropriate birds for 4-H
sad.png

hopefully enough folks will be at walker to make it worth while

btw - got those hamburgs -- not good
sad.png

the hen has a straight comb and to show her, she needed to have the breed standard rose comb... the rooster is cool tho, nice birds otherwise - they look good in the yard and she lays a nice white egg daily

Last edited:
Good luck at the swap. There's a very large, dark haired man there named Jason, sells a lot of birds. Steer clear of him.

I have extra SLW roos and Cuckoo Marans roos if you want to take a look.

Back
Top Bottom