IA here

Pics
Quote:
quick - get the birds out of the yard - the hawk is back
big_smile.png

now about those worms, can I feed them to the chickens since you made me put them inside...

j/k

I actually lost a chick to a Hawk recently, and it was not wearing black/gold and carrying a football. It was a chick that was blind in one eye, and so it was in danger from it's environment anyway. We've been lucky with our free-ranging birds that only the one has been lost.

Does anyone in Iowa have any good Welsummer eggs that I can purchase? I have a broody silkie, and don't want to waste her just sitting on a golf ball. I'll look for eggs to be shipped if I can't find some in Iowa, but wanted to check with my neighbors first.

You may want to check with Clay to see if his hens are laying yet. He has good stock. I got my roo's from him. My birds aren't laying well right now, not sure what the deal is.

Quote:
The Molt has started here in my coop...feathers everywhere...and the 20 days without rain has brought out the raccoons....grrrr

I can't figure out what I did wrong trying to get my broodies (had 3 out of 28 hens) to hatch out some eggs....any tips from those of you who've had success?

Catherine

Catherine -- I trick my broody silkie each time by putting eggs under her at about midnight or later. Dark of night, she's asleep and unwary. I keep things dark, and when she wakes up she thinks she's laid the egg.

Anyone here in iowa interested in some seramas??? Really need to get rid of them let me know.

Back
Top Bottom