IA here

Pics
Hi Karen;
Just now checking in again. I found Phils email and he sent me a link and got the stuff in the mail too! Speaking of Phil, I talked to him in Hutchinson, at the show, yesterday. He won a big ribbon for something (duh.. musta been a chicken), but I can't remember what breed? He was also keeping track of the points from the judges for the Wyandotte club. I think. Anyway, was a nice show. Not quite as big as last year 1,900 entries but nice folks.

The boys each won a ribbon in the Junior show. One for a Best of Breed for a Serama, the other for Reserve AOC and Best of Variety for a Pyncheon. I was more excited than they were! All my entries placed either BB, BV, or RV except for two vorwerk pullets that got 3 and 4. Poor dears. They were looking a bit scruffy. Needed to go to the beauty parlor. We did well for taking 11 birds.

Gotta fill out the form and send it in to Phil then were ready for Thanksgiving weekend! See you then...

Eric

Hi, Joyous!

A belated welcome from Durant.

What do you do with your horses? I'm an avid trail rider and ride up North of your area all the time.

You'll love this forum, it's the best.

Therese

Last edited:
Lilandra;

They usually block off the aisles that are being judged or, the judges usually wear coats or smocks that separate them from the rest of the folks. Plenty of room for veiwing!

Quote:
They are all doing GREAT--and they are just so freakin' adorable it's not even funny. I am *so* glad that you were able to meet me so I could get these guys, thank you again so much.

One of the babies has become really frizzled--it was so darn cute. I came out one morning, and there he/she was, looking as if he'd stuck his beak in an electrical outlet--feathers sticking out all over.
lol.png

The hens are getting to be really super tame, too--they come right up to my feet when I go into their coop to feed/water. I can't get enough of watching those two girls march around, all those fuzzy/frizzly/naked neck babies marching along behind.

I was kind of hoping that one or both of those girls might decide to nest on the Serama eggs I brought home, but so far, no interest. I guess they figure they already have a family.

I'll have to get some updated pics for you to see them.

Therese

Quote:
They are all doing GREAT--and they are just so freakin' adorable it's not even funny. I am *so* glad that you were able to meet me so I could get these guys, thank you again so much.

One of the babies has become really frizzled--it was so darn cute. I came out one morning, and there he/she was, looking as if he'd stuck his beak in an electrical outlet--feathers sticking out all over.
lol.png

The hens are getting to be really super tame, too--they come right up to my feet when I go into their coop to feed/water. I can't get enough of watching those two girls march around, all those fuzzy/frizzly/naked neck babies marching along behind.

I was kind of hoping that one or both of those girls might decide to nest on the Serama eggs I brought home, but so far, no interest. I guess they figure they already have a family.

Therese

Hopefully my name sake is being good to them.....
smile.png

When does the judging end? Good question especially since we are blocking off the aisles on both sides of the row being judged. We are doing that because a few people watching got a little too involved in the judging. They tried to talk to the judge as he was judging. Which slows things down.

My best guess is that the judging will end around 4:30. That's a long day for a judge. I have requested that juniors be judged first so that the kids don't have to wait so long. The club certainly would hire another judge if they had the money. It makes things go faster of course.

The Eastern Iowa Poultry Club needs more members! It is a great time to join and it's only $15! Go to the website www.easterniowapoultryshow.com and talk to Rex if you are interested.

Thank you all so much!

Quote:

lol.png

Therese

Yeah they probably won't set until they are done with this brood. I love how they parent together. I love the frizzly ones also. They end up being softer than both the silkies or cochins. It's like the cross doubles their softness. I hope they are mostly pullets for you. Glad to hear they are getting "tamer". By the way - they used to love bread or raisins for treats although they haven't had raisins in a looooonnnggg time - too expensive and the kids can't quit feeding them to the chickens.

Last edited:
Quote:
Never fear, Clay--your namesake is doing you proud--he definitely has come a long way from the traumatized fellow with the naked purple butt that he was when he first arrived.

He is very good to his girls, keeps a close eye on everyone, and only hassles the number two rooster a tiny bit. That roo, a copper Maran, is totally passive and just runs, so all is good in the coop. Outside, they just go to separate sides of the yard.

He also is HUGE. He wasn't small by any means when I picked him up, but he's half again the size of the other roo, and twice the size of any of the hens.

So, when do you want me to deliver your Seramas??
lol.png

OH!! I got my first blue egg today--someone from the group I was given a month ago must be part EE or Americauna. If I get that jazzed every time I find a colored egg, I best get some colored egg layers soon! (Yeah, I really need to get a life, huh?)

Therese

Back
Top Bottom