IA here

found what was left of the missing one in the fenced backyard where they "play". Her body was not there last night and there are feathers everywhere. She must have been holed up somewhere and then a coon got her. There are coon prints in the mud in places. They can not get into the coop at night, so as long as they are in there they are safe. ARGGG I wish I knew where she had been hiding - I looked EVERYWHERE back there and there really isn't anywhere to hide. She had never left the fenced area either, ever.

Quote:
That's too bad. I think I have a coon visiting us again too, though they have never taken birds that I know of. I've had a couple go missing, but never any sign of what happened. Time to set a trap again.

Quote:
That's too bad. I think I have a coon visiting us again too, though they have never taken birds that I know of. I've had a couple go missing, but never any sign of what happened. Time to set a trap again.

Your SCARING me!!!!
hide.gif

My mil lost 3 ducks and they put up a deer cam but never figured out what killed them.
I've only lost 1 to critters but no clue what never found anything but feathers
Coyotes sing at night that creepy song but they hit rabbits before chickens so far anyway

This has been the worst year of losses for me. I've had chickens for 4 years now and only lost a few small ones to hawks in the past, plus one to a stray dog before we put our fencing up. Which was weird because there are never stray dogs around here. I think in the 16 years we ahve lived here I've seen 3 strays.

We have had illness galore, my own dogs and now this
sad.png

I meant to say a few nights ago. I have no idea how, but Brooster has managed to make himself bald! Right behind his comb, is just a bald patch. Im pretty sure he did it on the wire somehow or got it caught idk. No blood though, just a bald patch and some feathers on the ground, but they were outside the cage lol.
Mr. Ia blue has been working on his crow some more, he doesn't sound like he's gurgling as much
lol.png

But with the other chickens its still not going well :\\ another brahma is down now and will probably die by tonight. There will be 5 brahmas left, we have no idea what is wrong...and besides my silkie it seems all the brahmas are being affected.

I lost my Buff Polish girl last fall to a hawk and want to "replace" her. I am in the Des Moines area.... do any of you fellow Iowans know of anyone that has one they are interested in finding a new home for? I have another polish that is lonely as she is close to the bottom of the pecking order. My DW has given me permission to get ONE MORE but that's it!
I think it's funny that she is so firm on the number of chickens I have since she doesn't have to do anything to/with/for them! I guess there is a breaking point everyone has. Well most people... I planned on only keeping 5-6 chickens... I have 19 now. I told myself I would never have a rooster.... I have 2 now. One kindly old Barred Rock fellow and a very rowdy Americana who likes the ladies.... a lot.

Let me know of anyone who might have a buff Polish! Thank you!

Thought I'd check in. Have been busy swimming in the 90F heated pool and fishing off the pier here at the resort. Day trip to Key West today. Saw wild chickens but forgot camera. Used phone but not a very good camera. Went to the Truman summer White House and Ernest Hemingways house. Layed in the sun Tuesday and no-one tried to roll me back in the water! I did get sunburned
hmm.png
. Have a spot on my head where the hair grows.. less frequently? It's pretty tender.
Am outside now wi fi at resort not a good signal. Getting chilly. have to put my shirt back on. Lost my voice this morning, sleeping next an open window, even at night!
big_smile.png
Gonna be in the 80's this weekend. Want to catch some bigger mangrove snapper but ran out of shrimp! First time I've ever used live shrimp for bait. Steaks on grill, fishing and bonfire tomorrow night.
First night here my son and I went down to water front and 2 racoons skittered across the grounds behind us. Scared the pdiddy out of me. Have a pelican named Louise that is alway there when we wish looking/hoping for a tidbit. Another beautiful snowy egret comes down and loves shrimp. A very tall graceful bird that will come up and take food out of your hand. Have named him or her Harvey. Everything is in bloom down here, hibiscus, everything so am thinking might have a touch of hayfever?

Don't know of anyone wanting to rehome Polish hens. Never met anyone that wants to let them go actually.
smile.png
Love those quirky ladies!!

Quote:

Well my day got even better. (read tons of sarcasm here) Went to collect eggs and found my cuckoo maran hen dead
sad.png
Yesterday she was real late coming out of the coop but she looked fine and felt fine after I caught her, so I figured she will be 4 this summer, maybe she just likes getting a late start.

Well I found her in the coop near where she normally roosts with her head tucked under her wing just dead - it was like she died in her sleep.

Wonder who's next...

I did get the coop mostly cleaned out and then went in and made dinner. When I head back out to finish up Big Blu was calling an alarm. He had spotted the hawk and got everyone to safety. The girls listened to him! I gave him an "atta boy"

He is starting to share treats now too and calls them all to bed.

Back
Top Bottom