IA here

Is this Matt Kuecker??????

Quote:
Hey Jason..the hen and the cock will both sit on the eggs. The hen will normally sit at night and the cock during the day.

Quote:
I would get them their own loft. I have had rollers nest on the ground in a cochin pen before and everytime the cochin rooster chases them off the nest and breaks the eggs. I would get a piece of ply wood and lean it at an angle over the nest to help hide the pigeon eggs. That worked for me one time.

The splash look nice. They ought to work well with your two hens.

Hi Matt, how have you been? Still have the Blues?

Yeah still have the blues in bantams. Will be breeding from 4 trios this spring. I'd say the blues are my favorite. How are things going with you?

Yep

Quote:
Hey Jason..the hen and the cock will both sit on the eggs. The hen will normally sit at night and the cock during the day.

Well, welcome to BYC! I'm sure you've been lurking though!

The cochins I posted pix of previously are out of the roo I got from you.

Quote:

Sorry for interrupting the thread, but I have an Iowa question. Can anyone tell me what it means to have "certified" eggs? I went to a restaurant to sell my eggs, and was told that they wanted to buy them but would get in trouble for having uncertified eggs. Is this certification something a small producer (less than 200 hens) can get or needs? Would they really get in trouble for serving my eggs?

To sell eggs commercially, you need to be USDA certified. At least in Iowa.

It's the same with milk. It's illegal to sell unpasteurized milk in Iowa, even from a USDA certified facility.

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the reply. I knew about the milk, was just surprised that I could not sell the eggs. I guess I will just keep doing the farmer's markets and advertising on craigslist. I have also considered distributing flyers door to door to find customers. I suppose I would get in trouble for that too.
rant.gif
Iowa chicken laws are such a PAIN. Seems like a few rotton eggs (producers, not actual eggs) have messed it up for the rest of us.
somad.gif

Eric, I'm getting bantam marans eggs like crazy! Lots are not as dark as I would like, but that's to be expected from bantams. And they are still projects. We're only 3 generations in. Send me a PM if you want some eggs, or I could hatch some chicks out for you. I'm seeing some interest with a few others with these. They are great layers, and the eggs are big for the the size of the bird. These are big for a bantam, which in the French standard, those are big too. I guess that makes sense, since LF Marans are such big birds. I'd say these are a little smaller than the Iowa Blue's, to give you an idea of size.

Temperament, they are gentle. I had one cocky bird in the bunch, which I culled out. Haven't had another challenge me at all. They are laid back, not flighty. The hens seem to want to hang around and talk to me. It's pretty cute. But they don't get under my feet like my RIR's, BO's and Cochins.

I have yet to get one of these go broody.

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom