IA here

Quote:
Everyone at my house survived and I even had a surprise in the coop when I went to collect eggs. My silkie had herself an Ia. Blue chick. I knew she had two eggs but I thought both of them were bad. Guess not
big_smile.png

Being the mean person I am - I stole the chick from her and brought it in. I have a duck pond in the chicken pen I would bet lots of feed that the chick would end up drowning in it. Besides she raises crazy, mean chickens
hmm.png

Quote:
Everyone at my house survived and I even had a surprise in the coop when I went to collect eggs. My silkie had herself an Ia. Blue chick. I knew she had two eggs but I thought both of them were bad. Guess not
big_smile.png

Being the mean person I am - I stole the chick from her and brought it in. I have a duck pond in the chicken pen I would bet lots of feed that the chick would end up drowning in it. Besides she raises crazy, mean chickens
hmm.png

We all survived here too. I was out misting my chickens, have a fan going in the coop and even made sure with a fan that I had air moving in the garage where I am brooding chickens and ducklings. Today I put the ducklings outside in a covered swimming pool with 2 pans of water and feed. It has to be cooler than the garage. I just found a new muscovy egg this morning in a nesting area so one of the hens must be getting ready to set. Yeah!

I sold 4 of my muscovy babies today and she said she may be back for 2 more this weekend. I still have about 8 to 10 more to sell. I have pips and one zipping with my eggs in the bator. All in all just trying to survive the heat!!

Quote:
big_smile.png

hmm.png

I'm about to round up the broodies' chicks too. They are getting careless with them. I have one Cochin with a bunch of pure Iowa Blues that I would hate to lose
hmm.png
I'll leave her a couple EE's so she doesn't feel bad
wink.png

Quote:
I thought most waterfowl take 28 days to hatch.

I thought so too, but I was also thinking there was one breed that took 30-32 days?

I'll go google it
smile.png

OK googled it - they take 35 days! Yikes! These guys aren't gonna hatch for awhile...

Last edited:
had a heat related casualty this afternoon. the really sweet and beautiful maran crossed hen passed away
sad.png

I checked everyone else out and no other stressed birds. I think she overheated hiding from the young roosters that were penned up with her. The roosters are now out in the yard - hopefully they won't bring predators into the yard.

Back
Top Bottom