IA here

Both kids did good this year at the fair in 4-H and Open Class.Our 12 year old daughter did good in showing birds in 4-H,She got Champion Bantam with a Black Cochin,Champion Other with a Guinea,Reserve Champion Other with a Red Golden Pheasant,Champion Chick Growing Project with Buff Orphingtons,Reserve Champion Chick Growing Project with Road Island Reds,Champion Layer Flock with Speckled Sussex.she also won about 30 other blue and red ribbons with other poultry,pictures,painting,blanket,pillow.She also won Overall Grand Champion Flowers in the Open Class.Our 5 year old boy won Overall Grand Champion in Grains,Seeds & Vegetables with a head of Cabbage in the Open Class.He also got blues for 10 other vegies he took.We had right around 200 birds this year at the fair.It was HOT but fun.

56264_p1110320.jpg
mg]
56264_p11103151.jpg
56264_p11103121.jpg
[im
56264_p11103111.jpg
g][/img]
56264_p11102971.jpg
56264_p11103031.jpg
56264_p11102811.jpg
56264_p11103541.jpg
56264_p1110349.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Iowa Peeps with muscovies - I have a guy who is the market for up to 5 drakes in the next couple of weeks. These will NOT be pets. If you have a way to get them to Des Moines and want to part with them for somebodies dinner - let me know. They have to be pure muscovies. He has already purchased all the extra drakes I have.

Quote:
I'm curious, what is special about muscovies as meat birds?

For the community I am selling to they also want the muscovies because in their traditions if they eat a duck that quacks, the spirit of the duck will take over your mouth and make you talk too much and fight.

Quote:

For the community I am selling to they also want the muscovies because in their traditions if they eat a duck that quacks, the spirit of the duck will take over your mouth and make you talk too much and fight.

I never knew that about muscovies, see I learn something every time I get on this site. I herd viel is really good. I am still a sissy when it comes to eating anything we raise. But I only eat white meat so it would be a waist unless I have some that likes dark meat.
Jason

It's 106 here right now, can't believe I haven't lost any chickens. The Amish never came back to finish the pen and chicken doors, so I've been keeping the chickens inside. Luckily the chickenhouse is insulated (which doesn't seem to help all that much) and in heavy shade. I should have some time now to finish everything myself.

Ah, a cool morning at last! It was 75 this morning and the chickens were crazy excited
wee.gif
It was nice to see them spread across the pasture instead of huddled in panting, droopy winged groups near the fans
thumbsup.gif

Quote:

Ah I better not eat mine then, I think my DH would dump me for sure!

Back
Top Bottom