IA here

I know Dave Lefeber, from WI raised some nice bantams, I bought my trio from him last year. Sadly, Dave, lost his battle with cancer a few months ago. Dave told me when I bought mine that he had been raising them for a long time but had never thought about showing them until I saw them in Richland Center last June, then bought a trio at the Portage show last Sept. When I had my trio, I had hatching trouble too. Only had 2 hatch both died days after birth. could it be a weak line?

Quote:

Yup, I'm working on SS. Not very successfully though. I got eggs from several sources and only had luck hatching from one source. I'm getting picky on where I get them from now since I'm trying to breed towards the standard, but I guess I can't be too picky since I only have a 12 week old pullet (I hope). I have 7 that hatched from a friend that has hatchery stock, but they look a lot better than most hatchery stock. I'm also getting eggs from another friend that bought out somebody's SQ flock. I'm looking at getting some day olds from Tony Albritton this Spring, but only if I can find somebody to go in on an order with me. I'd like to get some SLW and SS from him. I need too check with Gary Overton to see if he sells chicks. He had an add in the Poultry Press that he will be delivering SS to Crossroads. I'm not going plus I don't have the extra cash right now for any adults, though I'd sure like some.

I wonder if due to not a lot of out crossing in the Speckled Sussex if they just lack vigor. Maybe it is time for somebody with some money (not me for sure) to import some new blood lines. I've heard of several people on the Sussex thread say they have a hard time hatching Speckled Sussex and if they do, only a small percentage make adulthood. Nothing scientific, just thinking out loud.
Jim

i had to share pics too.
42220_pict0040.jpg

Mz frizz and a couple of her babies.
42220_pict0041.jpg

east indies and a call
42220_pict0032.jpg

fluffball

Quote:
I really like your east indies. They are such a cool color. I wish the color patterns on chickens was as distinct on chickens as ducks, pigeons and quail. I can't believe it is getting that time of year already. The cold takes alot of the fun out of it.

28 here this am! Put flannel jammies on the chickens last night! The young chicks are doing really well w/o heat. All up moving around as soon as the light came on this am. Thought they'd be sluggish but they were up and at em.
Pulled all the tomatoes off the plants yesterday.
sad.png
Hate doing that, they were doing so well for being planted late. Those brandywine tomatoes are sooo good! The last time we grew heritage tomato plants, we plucked them all off before the first hard frost and put them in shoe boxes in the basement, eating the last just before Christmastime. I still recall having a plate of them on the table at Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
Eric I picked the last of my tomatoes also. I looked sadly at the blooms that are still on the plant. Mike was going to try to plant a sucker off a couple of them and bring them in so we could have nice big plants by next spring again.

I have winter wheat growing in my garden right now unfortunately the chickens have discovered it. I planted it really late so not sure how big it's going to get. Made me realize I have a couple of younger pullets out there that need some wing clipping.

It didn't get that cold here Eric but did make it down to 35. I only have two young chickens outside ( and 6 in my basement) They are pretty much feathered in a do fine huddling under the ducks at night.

I also just acquired 3 new Muscovy babies this weekend. They seemed fine this morning also. All three are different ages I think may 4 weeks to 8 weeks old.

Today is sorting through the 5 gal and 3 gal full buckets of tomatoes from 4 plants. Also picked some really nice green peppers too. When the plants die down we'll burn off the top of the garden area, keeping all the fresh poo away from the flames!
The chicks not under heat are 3 weeks old. Got some still under heat, but need to keep them from directly under the lamp, they feather out faster and stay healthier with more vigor as opposed to being spoiled by heat. i also find that they peck feathers if under a white light so I always use red. Anyone else experience this?

Back
Top Bottom