IA here

I was hoping to get my flock tested soon too. Last year the class was in May during the week and we are not allowed to take off of work the last 3 weeks of the school year.
he.gif

It sounded like the class was going to be May 9th this year but don't quote me on that because even the gal from the IPA didn't sound too sure about that date. That is a Wednesday.

Can anyone that has been to the class tell me what to expect?

Also, what's the entire process? You pay to go to the class, get certified and then test your own flock?

I talked to the owner of a sale/swap and got the impression if your flock wasn't NPIP certified you'd just as well stay at home w/your birds.

Quote:
I took my testing agents course in MN. It is more of a watch and learn than take tests. It was very interesting. They teach you about biosecurity, the spread of disease, identifying disease, treating sickness etc. We got large notebook full of information. And yes, you can test your own flock and others. Your birds have to be tested before any event where other birds may be around each other so NPIP is not necessary but tested birds with proper paperwork are.
Once your flock is NPIP approved, then you only need to renew your certification yearly. Only birds over 4 months of age have to be tested.

Last edited:
Got my first Turkey egg tonight.
yippiechickie.gif

Last night was my first Ameraucana egg.
I got my Welsummers separated tonight too. It was a good 2 days. Now to get the Ameraucanas separated.

I thought Turkey's weren't laying this time of year? We were having a discussion about it on FB (in a secret group designed to try and pull a prank on someone here on BYC) We wantedto send them turkey eggs to hatch because she is terrified of turkeys.

Mine are under lights in a breeding pen by the chickens. It gets set tomorrow with some swap eggs. I'm crossing my fingers that it is fertile. (Do I need to take a pic to prove I got one?)
gig.gif

Don't quote me, but I'm pretty sure that if you are having a swap/sale that includes poultry, you are legally obligated to have a vet or at least a tester on site. It isn't enforced very well, so that may be why you are getting that impression. The person having the swap may be trying to cut corners and not want to pay anyone to test. Just a guess, but usually advertisements for swaps state there will be a tester on site.

I think the weather is confusing the birds as well. I have a muscovey laying right now.

Hey Jim,

I decided I will offer the Blue/Black Rocks this year. I'll just note that they are very small. I have the f1 outcross group about half grown now. We'll get some size on them yet!

I fixed up an old building over the weekend to house turkeys and the goats I'm feeding out. Now to get the Nelson Waterer going again. That thing is a pain in the neck.

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom