IA here

Hi Iowa folks, is everyone enjoying the weather? No white Christmas to speak of, but I for one am NOT complaining!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I am liking this weather. Hoping for more decent weather as my birds are laying well (too well) and am thinking of firing up the incubator. I hate the thought of hatching chicks and having them in my shop for at least 6 weeks.

Quote:
Love the weather, started my GQF cabinet on 12/26 with LF Partridge Plymouth Rocks, (oh-oh could be a long hatching season) oh well, got a pair of doelings yesterday from my Nubian doe (first timer) spring is on it's way!
wee.gif

Quote:
Love the weather, started my GQF cabinet on 12/26 with LF Partridge Plymouth Rocks, (oh-oh could be a long hatching season) oh well, got a pair of doelings yesterday from my Nubian doe (first timer) spring is on it's way!
wee.gif

Ooo! How many will you hatch?

Quote:
wee.gif

Ooo! How many will you hatch?

I only put 12 PPR in (bought a hen ,two pullets and a cockerel from David, supposed to be from really good stock, hope to hatch abunch and cull,cull cull) also put in a few buttercups and a few black and blue bantam rocks. I already have seven more PPR eggs that will be going in next Monday with however many there is by then. Schroeder is coming out tommorrow ? to get a couple of my Ia blue pullets to replace the ones that he lost to the coon and the rest will probably go to my brother in Mn, gotta cut down some, too many breeds to try to improve!! Happy Hatching everyone!

Ok I have 2 broody silkies one I moved from the farm home with 14 eggs. Then she has kept 12 under her.
The other one had one egg(no roo) went broody. I put 6 eggs under her and she kept them for one day,then they were all over the floor, except the one she laid(smart). Last night we stuck 12 new eggs under her,she seems alot more willing to sit there. We also took the other egg.
Is there anything I am doing wrong? This is my first time using broodys. I know I could have looked through the the pages on byc but I would rather ask my fellow Iowans. I know 12 is a few too many but I couldn't throw them. I have thrown so many already, so I am trying something new. I can't wait until Feb. for the incubator to start. I think I should take everything I can get. They have there own schedule so I better take advantage of it. Fertility is good and my shed here at home is 65 at all time's.

Quote:
I was incubating
barnie.gif
in three Brouwer incubators that were quitting and breaking down and whatever then going to LG's to hatch, a friend of mine had this professional GQF and two 1588 Hovabators and I bought this for less than two 1588, so I'm still planning to hatch in the LG's ! I now have two Brouwers that need to be rehomed out of three, Anybody?????

Back
Top Bottom