IA here

Oh goodness the birds are happy today! They have been on self imposed confinement since the storm started. Found out I had some extra venting under my breeder pen doors and coops filled half up with snow. The Iowa Blues didn't mind but the 10 week old chicks I put in the other one were appalled.

I was reading an ad on CL today and saw several things in an ad I found interesting. The one I am not concerned about because I am not going to sell dressed poultry. The other thing was about selling eggs in IA.

For those of you who sell eggs do you know anything about the following quote?

"I also sell eggs, in the state of Iowa I have to weigh the eggs in order to legally sell them. Not everyone does this, however I have choosen to follow all farming laws to the letter. My eggs are weighed, my birds are accounted for."

If this is indeed the case I guess I have some more learning to do. I don't sell a lot but I do sell some.

I sold Three feathers to someone who was making a hat, I did NOT weigh them... either individually or as a group.

Am I in some kind of trouble ????????????

Will you guys visit me in Leavenworth ???

smack.gif

Good Grief !

I only sell to a couple different people I know also but if I ever wanted to sell more I kinda wondered what all the rest of you do. I always make sure the eggs they get are clean but I haven't been cleaning them.

I was reading an ad on CL today and saw several things in an ad I found interesting. The one I am not concerned about because I am not going to sell dressed poultry. The other thing was about selling eggs in IA.

For those of you who sell eggs do you know anything about the following quote?

"I also sell eggs, in the state of Iowa I have to weigh the eggs in order to legally sell them. Not everyone does this, however I have choosen to follow all farming laws to the letter. My eggs are weighed, my birds are accounted for."

If this is indeed the case I guess I have some more learning to do. I don't sell a lot but I do sell some.

I would not be surprised if you sell any quantity of eggs to strangers then you would have to follow USDA rules. My guess is they have to be graded like store eggs.

Last edited:
Hi Iowans! I'm in Des Moines getting ready to start some chicks this spring. I heard there was a thread here on cheep chicken food in the Des Moines area but I can't find it. Anyone want to share where they get their cheep feed from? I'm planning on growing some corn and sunflowers this summer, but I don't think I'll be able to grow all of their food for the winter. Also, I posted over here earlier.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/620296/help-me-change-this-into-a-coop#post_8249918
I'm looking for advice with fixing up my coop. The people who owned this house before us had a dwarf horse in the back yard. To put this into perspective we have about 4/10ths of an acre on the east side of Des Moines. I'd like to turn this horse stall into my coop. If you have any advice for me, especially since you all understand Iowas weather fluctuations, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!

Well, all depends on the structure of the shed / stall, what kind of chickens you will have, chicks vs adults and what kind.......

A pic is most helpful .

And about any cheap feed, if you find it let us know !

Other than that;

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom