IA here

We are thinking about getting a couple of turkeys to raise to butcher later this year. What do I need to be looking for? Any particular breed or anything?

none look as nice as there mama did but she vanished on me so
sad.png
and the best looking chick got grabbed by neighbor dog. but they hatched on my youngest b-day so he really wants to show them and county fair.

We are thinking about getting a couple of turkeys to raise to butcher later this year. What do I need to be looking for? Any particular breed or anything?

I enjoy my heritage turkeys. I had a slate hen, a Narraganset hen and 2 bronze toms last year. The toms got pretty mean so we ate them and 3 of their offspring are still in the freezer. This year I have a Narraganset and a black Tom, and the hens are 2 bronze, 1 slate and 1 Royal Palm. If you are looking for Heritage types, CountyLineHatchery has a nice collection.

I could get you some too, but of course they'd be mixed colors.

Last edited:
I enjoy my heritage turkeys. I had a slate hen, a Narraganset hen and 2 bronze toms last year. The toms got pretty mean so we ate them and 3 of their offspring are still in the freezer. This year I have a Narraganset and a black Tom, and the hens are 2 bronze, 1 slate and 1 Royal Palm. If you are looking for Heritage types, CountyLineHatchery has a nice collection.

I could get you some too, but of course they'd be mixed colors.

We only want 2 of them. So we are going to have to find some pretty local I think. I was told just today that a farm store that is near us will be selling them.

Hi Im from Rockwell Ia , I have Russian orloffs, Shamo game fowl , assortment of barnyard hens, my bantam brooder (hennypenny) white homing pigeons. I am going to set my homemade incubator today.

Back
Top Bottom