IA here

I don't know if I can ask this, I am so new that I don't even have chick's yet! Finally got my hubby on board, but don't know where to go for chick's. I was hoping I can find someone local that has babies I can get at a good price point, because what I am looking at now is:

1 of each ''breed'' and 2 rouen ducks (male and female)
McMurray Hatchery Decorah Hatchery
2 hours 30 minutes away 1 hour away
Buff Orphington $2.77 $3.65
Barred Rocks $2.63 $3.25
Black Sex Link $2.63 $3.25
Americana's (EE's) $3.38 $4.00
Silver Laced Wyandottes $2.88 $3.65
Rhode Island Reds $2.63 $3.25

Rouen Ducks $6.29(f) $5.79(m) $4.25

Total: =$29.00 = $ 29.55

What do you all think? I think because of gas prices I should go to Decorah, but McMurray also has a few more choices for breeds. Or if I can find someone local and help them out that would be great! Thanks!

Question: Is there a Waverly Swap soon? What are the requirements to attend? Can I just go buy? Thanks!

Waverly has already happened. Sorry you missed it. The fall swap is Sept 23rd. You can go to just buy. Selling, you need to have your birds PT tested in case you get checked. There are lots of swaps listed at therodentguy.com. Burlington is usually a good time and the next swap is 5/6.

Ack, I knew I should have talk my hubs into going. Dangit. LOL! I just want to get some chickies in the brooder soon. Before I start going nutso, I have a list of things to do. My dog Macy (GSP/mix) is having her first litter this week I expect. And we are painting the whole house, need to build a coop too.

ETA: Thanks for the info, really appreciate it! :)

Last edited:
I don't know if I can ask this, I am so new that I don't even have chick's yet! Finally got my hubby on board, but don't know where to go for chick's. I was hoping I can find someone local that has babies I can get at a good price point, because what I am looking at now is:

1 of each ''breed'' and 2 rouen ducks (male and female)
McMurray Hatchery Decorah Hatchery
2 hours 30 minutes away 1 hour away
Buff Orphington $2.77 $3.65
Barred Rocks $2.63 $3.25
Black Sex Link $2.63 $3.25
Americana's (EE's) $3.38 $4.00
Silver Laced Wyandottes $2.88 $3.65
Rhode Island Reds $2.63 $3.25

Rouen Ducks $6.29(f) $5.79(m) $4.25

Total: =$29.00 = $ 29.55

What do you all think? I think because of gas prices I should go to Decorah, but McMurray also has a few more choices for breeds. Or if I can find someone local and help them out that would be great! Thanks!

Are you sure you can pick the birds up there? Oft times the hatcheries "drop ship", their birds anymore. that means they take your order and another hatchery fills it for them and it is shipped to you with someone elses label on it. Shipping will add to the cost as well. Buy local when you can. it's goood business for all of us.

Got the link Jim, thanks. I messaged the people but they were not very helpful to me, vague answers to questions. Found a breeder of bantam Barnevelders and ordered 8 eggs from him. Another Jim, so he must be nice!
big_smile.png
Should have those eggs by Wednesday of next week.
Am anxiously awaitng a hatch of about 10 eggs due today but I must be off a day. Mostly New Hampshire Reds and Birchen MGB's. Those MGB's are funny... they are small but normal looking at hatch but within 2 days those long, long legs start a stretchin out. The other two I have from the previous hatch (1st ones) are so friendly, they come running, waiting to eat a bit of food off my finger!

I see some fuzzy Langshan butts in this pic!

Back
Top Bottom