IA here

Pics
The next swap in Waverly is Sept. 28th. I sold all of my birds this spring that I took to the sale. I actually made the most on the buttons. I really think I am going to take a couple of our adult dogs to the fall one. I might take my sheep too. I am not sure yet. I might also be taking a young llama for a friend too. I have been to two spring sales in Waverly but not any fall ones. I have a few chickens I might take... with the price of feed and everything I should downsize a little. I love my turkeys, ducks, and geese the most. The guineas are close behind them...lol I am free ranging my chickens right now so I am sure I have a mega nest somewhere and cant find it.... I realize my egg production usually goes down some in the heat but I was getting close to 2 dozen eggs a day and now am lucky to find 6...
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
he.gif
Since we have the alpacas I really have to reset my needs.. I also want to put in a new garden next year and some more fruit trees... I am going to butcher a bunch of ducks this fall and also got some cortunix quails that hatched that I am going to raise for my hubby to smoke. I will keep a few pairs and then then butcher the rest. Then I can hatch the eggs and raise those up for more butchering. Well, enough of my rambling, glad to see everyone on, Jenn

Anyone going to Kalona for the Exotic Animal and bird auction? I saw an ad in a newspaper and it looks fun. It's lots closer than Kankakee, IL for us which was that weekend also so we are going to Kalona instead. www.kctc.net/ksb We may get some Coturnix quail there if they have any. I ended up with 3 boys so I need some girls. Besides looking for Coturnix and maybe Button Quail there we might get a few sheep. Other than that we are just going to enjoy looking at all the exotics. It just depends on how the prices go at auction though if we bring any home. I haven't had any sheep in over 8 years so it will be fun if we can bring a few home. My mom would love some alpacas but we first have to sale a horse or 2 before we can get those.

I wouldnt mind but I was told by someone a while back that it cost like $10. to get in and that was if you were just looking to buy. That is a little rich for my blood. I dont know what it would cost if I took my kids too. I dont mind paying a couple dollars a person to go in but not $10. Jenn

It is pricey to go there. Not a bad place to buy or sell goats and sheep. I went 2 years ago and it was $6 to walk around and look. They have people that remind you to buy a pass. Just annoying IMO. Go and look at the poultry outside then leave unless you really love sheep and goats.

I contacted the sales barn and it is $5.00 a person to get it. But I think it will be worth it to get to see the exotics. I plan to be there Friday night for the sheep and goat sale and then again Sat. morning for the bottle babies (I've raised bottle lambs before so depending on the price and quality I could end up with a few) and poultry and game bird sale. We won't be buying a kangaroo, monkey, or anything like that but they will be fun to look at.

Thats not to bad, I still wish we didnt have so much to do for winter to be able to go.... It seems like you get one project done and 3 more pop up..lol Hope everyone has fun. Jenn

I understand about the projects. We wouldn't be going if it wasn't so close to us and for the fact we were looking into getting sheep anyways. If we had fewer horses I know my mother would be bringing home some alpacas also. She's wanted them for seems like forever. I really hope they have Contruix quail also as I was looking forward to raising them up for butchering and keeping a few to breed but I ended up with all boys so breeding is out right now. My buttons I have more males than females but at least I have a female.

We have 2 baby alpacas for sale but they are pretty expensive..lol I also want to sell my adult ewe sheep... As far as quail I have to find a site with males and females, I am not sure what I have. Good luck. Jenn

Any iowans interested in Chanteclers? I need to downsize what I got, colors aren't great but I thinks they will be great for winter chickens, they are suppose to lay in the winter. I have Buff, red(ok the colors are really bad) and partridge. I can deliver to the waverly swap later this month. or if anyone is coming by Mason City I can arrange for pickup.

Back
Top Bottom