Ice Cream Bars

BTW, their main traits are the pretty eggs, being so thrifty and excellent foragers, and not liking to be confined. They have a third of an acre they share with thirty some other hens but that's just not good enough. They must to check my flower beds daily for whatever might have crawled in there since the day before. They just sail across the fence like its nothing, even though I clipped their wings then clipped them closer! As close as they can be clipped! And they have such an air about themselves. Little princesses. Oh well if anyone thinks an ICB can look like these ill be breeding more of them. I have another question though. How many generations would I need to breed before I can offer their eggs for sale? Thanks for any input. I'm completely new to chicken breeding. I've hatched but am not knowledgeable about genetics. Here's my Roos and some hens.

I hope you clipped only one wing??? Otherwise they can still fly very well. By clipping only one wing, that screws up their center of gravity and flight is usually dramatically curtailed.

Nope, Hellbender. Sure haven't. unless it's a .22.
thumbsup.gif

Fannie Farmer, I have had blue, green, and yellow legs. Since ICBs are crosses, that come from crosses (ancestory), you can expect many things. You have to consider there are probably other breeds that have been also crossed in. I've found several of my ICBs to have feather stubs on their legs. Since there is no known ancestor that would carry that gene, wondering if there was perhaps a Marans crossed somewhere along the way.

I've never seen a mature ICB with as much white as the pullet in the second picture. Could she be an EE cross? Either way, she's pretty and a keeper. I plan on crossing my EEs with the ICBs to get pea combs. They will still be EEs and lay blue eggs.

Thank you Gootziecat for replying. I appreciate the input. I didn't have any mature mixed Roos when their mothers were running about. But I did have splash Isbars! I don't understand genetics enough to know if that could produce her coloring but I do like her very much except for her diva attitude and flying over the fence. I might try for some more but more carefully and see if I can duplicate her little self. Then I'll know!! Thank you again.

here are my ICBs

Turkey Taser 3 months old. I love his coloring! Beautiful translucent green feathering. Hopefully his saddle feathers and hackle feathers don't cover everything up as he gets older.

My eight-week olds:

I know the mottled one is a roo but the two barred ones I keep going back and fourth on.

My favorite girl, Isbar x Cream Legbar. She's so pretty! She's quiet and friendly, and has the prettiest feathers, in person you can see black lacing on the tips of the feathers. Her comb is getting color so hopefully she'll be laying soon, cant wait to see her eggs.

Two Ducks, one of the barred juvies is definitely a roo. The other one doesn't show it so much, but I'd guess roo also. I had one barred that kept me guessing for a while, too. I have observed there is a lot of variety with these. I don't like the huge combs that tend to be a trait of ICB roos. But there are a lot of breeds that the roosters have huge combs, especially Legbars, which is half the breeding.

There may never be a standard for these and they are so mixed up genetically it will take a long time with great dedication for them to be a recognized breed. Except for some one with a purpose to have these birds, they are basically a mixed/barnyard chicken.

Two Ducks, one of the barred juvies is definitely a roo. The other one doesn't show it so much, but I'd guess roo also. I had one barred that kept me guessing for a while, too. I have observed there is a lot of variety with these. I don't like the huge combs that tend to be a trait of ICB roos. But there are a lot of breeds that the roosters have huge combs, especially Legbars, which is half the breeding.

There may never be a standard for these and they are so mixed up genetically it will take a long time with great dedication for them to be a recognized breed. Except for some one with a purpose to have these birds, they are basically a mixed/barnyard chicken.
If you didn't want the huge comb why not take a second generation isbar rooster with a smaller comb and mate it to a CCL hen. Maybe you would have a shot at a smaller comb. I have had about 8 isbar roosters all with different comb sizes...however, my CCL combs are large...especially on the Jill Reese CCL line.

This is a beautiful mix. I especially love the black and white roo...stunning!

Back
Top Bottom