Icelandic Chickens

Hey I have 2 different import bloodlines in my Icelandic flock. 2 hens from Mack Hill (Lyle line) and a 7 month rooster "Lundi" who is a direct import from Iceland.

I have eggs posted on ebay and will keep posting more for sale as I have more laid. The more i sell the less i hatch. i have hatched over 30 chicks this month and am finally shutting down the incubator.... but i need help.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25110450335...LX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649#ht_500wt_1201

this one ends soon, in a few days i will post a 6 egg auction.

let me know.

I can't believe I missed this one !! Do you know when you might be posting another 12 egg auction?

Folks, the BYC Staff has spent considerable time in discussing the issue of Icelandics being imported into the U.S. We have decided to disallow any & all conversation in this regard. This means, NO comments about who imported what, or when. NO comments about who has "legal" or "illegal" Icelandics. NO comments about USDA certification or anything else in regard to importing.

It's fine to ask questions in regard to importing VIA PM as it relates to buying or selling stock or eggs, recordkeeping for bloodline information, etc.; but it is NOT okay to threaten or otherwise attempt to intimidate other BYC members. We will not tolerate bullying.

Any questions, let any Staff member know.

Okay...carry on your thread about this wonderful & beautiful bird!

Amen. Thank you Wynette!

Anyone who wants to know anything about the above with regards to my birds, please continue to send me PMs.

Wow, these are truly gorgeous birds! Some of the most amazing I've seen pictures of here! Any updates on them? How are they as layers? I'm just so curious about rare-breed chickens!

Nice to meet you UrbanEnthusiast, I see you're in my neck of the woods :)

There is not a whole lot of sourced information in English (I've started working on some translations, but it will take me a while), but you can get the basic facts by visiting this page http://aviandiv.tzv.fal.de/aviandiv/perl/query_db.pl (select "Icelandic landrace") which contains information collected by the United Nations' FAO in 1998-2000 for a diversity project called AvianDiv. There are a few errors, like the breed is 1100 years old, not 900 years old (someone subtracted 900 from 2000 and got 900...) and they do not lay brown eggs, but white/cream/extremely light beige. It's a good starting point though. It states that they lay 180 eggs per year (when they're in Iceland, 65 degrees North), which I assume is without supplementing with artificial lighting over the winter months.

(edited for grammar)

Last edited:
Beautiful!
I have a lot of lovely cockerels in my bunch too. I love the big white and red ones but my favorites have straight combs and I expect that will be a poor choice for our winters.
I love the size on this guy, but he's a bit of a bully.

I love the color on this guy, but he tends to carry his tail a bit on the wry side. I've had Iowa Blues do this when young and grow out of it though, so who knows.

Some group shots

Our new flock gaurdian Kaz

VERY cute chick!
love.gif

Deb

Pretty chick, interesting markings. The second black spot makes it look almost like there is another chick behind him.

Wow I just hit 3,333 posts - are threes lucky??? Would be nice.

Back
Top Bottom