Icelandic Chickens

ok, so today i was watching my chicks and I noticed that my icelandic makes a much different sounding 'peep' than the other chicks. Do you find this with your icee babies? My full grown icelandic rooster have a very distinct high pitch crow that is much different than my other breeds, maybe this has something to do with it?

My Icelandic rooster and cockerels have a higher pitch to their crow than my New Hampshire cockerel. The Java rooster I used to have also had a lower pitch than the Icelandics.
The Icelandics do seem, to me, to have a unique "language". The two times I incubated the Icelandics and Javas together, they were kept in the brooder and then grow-out together and everything was done to them as an entire group. The Icelandics always ended up hanging together. The very first Icelandics I hatched were under a broody SLWyandotte and there were two Java eggs and ten Icelandic eggs under her. All ten Icelandics hatched and one Java hatched. The one Java was a white pullet. She wanted so badly to be like them, they were faster and could fly up higher than she could, but she did everything she could to keep up with them. When she went to live at a friend's with the other Javas, I sent one of her Icelandic hatchmates with her.

They do have a higher pitched voice, for sure. Both of my cockerels have what I can only term as more piercing crows than the other breeds I've had. One of them about knocks you off your feet if he goes off right next to you. The boy has gusto.

The pullets have higher voices, too. They make the same noises as the other breeds I keep, except in miniature <3

I dont know about shrill but they have life for sure ! I'll be listening closer this year, also will have some others to compare to, Chanteclers and I hope some Delawares. Both are strong vigorous breeds.

Delawares! I had a pullet last year and loved her to pieces. I've been watching Kathy's project Delawares with some interest.

Ugh. Came home tonight and found one of my cockerels with blood all over his feathers and part of his comb torn up. I'm not sure yet, but I think it was the young jake turkey that's out there with them. I've got the cockerel in the garage, hope he makes it through the night. I do believe it's time to butcher the turkey
sad.png
I'm not very happy right now.

That much damage probably was the Tom. I used to raise Wishard Turkeys, a free ranging bronze, they ignored my wyandottes and RIRs, but they were ranging out and about and only came in for some daily scratch grain. I am waiting to hear back from Kathy on some eggs or chicks this spring of her Delawares. Another good homestead breed.

Okay, I'm not Kelly, but I'm going to guess............pullet, cockerel, cockerel, pullet, pullet, cockerel. I love the one pullet, will be bluish for sure.

Deb
kinda what i was figuring but wasn't for sure about the 1st one "patches" yes the last pullet definitely has a blue sheen when the light hits her right...same with patches!

took them out for a romp in what will be their grow out pen yesterday....still bringing them in at night until the weather warms up some or they get fully feathered.

Back
Top Bottom