Icelandic Chickens

I have a confession to make. One of the chicks that hatched in December who's daddy is Drekki II came out of a LEGHORN egg and not an Icelandic. I don't know how I didn't notice it when I sent them to be incubated, but before I rehomed my flock to the FFA group in the East Valley and knowing that there is NO SUCH thing as a ONE COLOR Icelandic, I realized my Leghorn looking pullet with the 'interesting' comb had to have come from the two of them. (Her mama was hatched from a Trader Joe's egg) So I decided to keep her for life as a remembrance of my life with Icelandics... she just started laying and the egg looks like a cross between a leghorn and an Icelandic. Maybe I could call her "Stella II", but I can say she hasn't found her way out of the run yet!
smile.png
Hmm....I have a pure white Icelandic hen that comes indirectly from the Behl line. The breeder I got my little flock from has been raising them for 9 years and he had told me that the white didn't show up in his flock right away. He only raises Icelandics, so I don't think there was any whoops. I love my little Svana. So there is always the possibility of a one color Icelandic, but if yours is laying a larger egg, you are probably right about her parentage.

Hmm....I have a pure white Icelandic hen that comes indirectly from the Behl line. The breeder I got my little flock from has been raising them for 9 years and he had told me that the white didn't show up in his flock right away. He only raises Icelandics, so I don't think there was any whoops. I love my little Svana. So there is always the possibility of a one color Icelandic, but if yours is laying a larger egg, you are probably right about her parentage.

How old is your white? Has she molted yet? I have had several that looked white, until they molted and then came in with black tips on wings and streaks. Some whites develop light tan to wheaten on the backs and wings also after molting.

I havent heard or read of any white Icelandics. At least not until now. I am curious.

We constantly get surprises with out Icelandics.

On another note, I am mailing eggs to Iowa this morning. And looking forward to getting some from Shawn in Id in another month of his featherlegged stock. Also from the Behl line.

Life is good, and better with Icelandic Chickens !
thumbsup.gif

Quote: I got my little flock this Fall after they had molted. I went out there to really look at her again and didn't see any black tips or color on her back or wings. The only thing I saw was an almost in-perceivable red/tan on the very front of her chest and you can only see it in the sunlight - like its throwing off a different sheen. It is so light that it is very difficult to see. I've hatched several all white chicks (and several that have faint color on them at hatch) from her this Spring, so I will just have to grow them out to see how they develop.

Here is a picture of her when I got her (not the best pic however)

I got my little flock this Fall after they had molted. I went out there to really look at her again and didn't see any black tips or color on her back or wings. The only thing I saw was an almost in-perceivable red/tan on the very front of her chest and you can only see it in the sunlight - like its throwing off a different sheen. It is so light that it is very difficult to see. I've hatched several all white chicks (and several that have faint color on them at hatch) from her this Spring, so I will just have to grow them out to see how they develop.

bow.gif
This just makes me want to kick my incubator out to the curb! I can't believe it ruined all of those gorgeous eggs. Makes me sick. Ugh!

I got my little flock this Fall after they had molted. I went out there to really look at her again and didn't see any black tips or color on her back or wings. The only thing I saw was an almost in-perceivable red/tan on the very front of her chest and you can only see it in the sunlight - like its throwing off a different sheen. It is so light that it is very difficult to see. I've hatched several all white chicks (and several that have faint color on them at hatch) from her this Spring, so I will just have to grow them out to see how they develop.

She is a beautiful hen !!!

I love that crest ! Looks like she is ready for the Easter Parade !

My uneducated guess is that she is genetically a very pale wheaten. I have had several that looked white until they molted and then showed creamy yellow or light tan on back or even breast.

It will be fascinating to see how her chicks develop. She's a keeper !

I just picked up 4 2 week old straight run Icelandics a week ago from just struttin farm. I am very excited to see what happens with them but am curious if you can answer a few quetions for me.

At what age should I expect that they may start to lay?
At what age can I tell the boys from the girls...all of these have flat combs will the boys pink up sooner?
How many eggs a week do you get from a young pullet as well as a mature hen?
Do yours hide their eggs...rarely, often or on the regular?

Thanks!

I just picked up 4 2 week old straight run Icelandics a week ago from just struttin farm. I am very excited to see what happens with them but am curious if you can answer a few quetions for me.

At what age should I expect that they may start to lay?
At what age can I tell the boys from the girls...all of these have flat combs will the boys pink up sooner?
How many eggs a week do you get from a young pullet as well as a mature hen?
Do yours hide their eggs...rarely, often or on the regular?

Thanks!

From what I have observed here, the boys go noticeably pink around 6 weeks of age. I have three pullets and they can lay fairly well when they decide to lay, but yes, they do like to hide their eggs sometimes. Usually where someone else has hidden a nest and has eggs, such as if my BO sneaks off and makes a new spot.

Two of my girls started laying around the 5 month mark, maybe a little after. The other girl didn't lay until she was about 8 months old, but she is from a different bloodline so I have wondered if that had something to do with it?

Congratulations on your chicks!
clap.gif

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your reply. I appreciate it.

Were your young Icelandics more convinced than the average chick that you were in deed going to kill them every time you put your hand in the brooder? Mine freak and they seem to be rabble rousers with the other chicks too in that everyone can be resting and suddenly one of the Iceladics is up and running...like the kid with ADHD in the classroom, and getting the rest of them going. not in a bad way. Just full of it.

Thanks so much for your reply. I appreciate it.

Were your young Icelandics more convinced than the average chick that you were in deed going to kill them every time you put your hand in the brooder? Mine freak and they seem to be rabble rousers with the other chicks too in that everyone can be resting and suddenly one of the Iceladics is up and running...like the kid with ADHD in the classroom, and getting the rest of them going. not in a bad way. Just full of it.
I find that my chicks are more flighty and have lots of energy; however I don't find them to be mean at all. Very curious, inquisitive and escape artist supremos all wrapped up in different colored packages. I think they are smarter than the average.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom