Icelandic Chickens

Welcome Icedragon!

Thanks Mary. Love the pics :) I am really glad to hear more than one person say that keeping a little laying flock of Icelandics is good, too. I really don't want to get rid of my girls, and one of them is one of my two best layers, next to my Dominique. They are crazy, fun little birds! I love their higher-pitched voices, too!

Another of my hens has decided to sit. She seems more serious about it than her sister, because I took away everyone's eggs (three laying hens are brooding, at current) and she's sitting determinedly on nothing. I wish they'd have gotten this bug a couple of months ago. Not sure I can talk DH into letting me give them eggs right now.

I forgot I had taken pics a couple of weeks ago.

Sven is so good about posing when I tell him to hold still.

Last edited:
Welcome Icedragon!

Thanks Mary. Love the pics
smile.png
I am really glad to hear more than one person say that keeping a little laying flock of Icelandics is good, too. I really don't want to get rid of my girls, and one of them is one of my two best layers, next to my Dominique. They are crazy, fun little birds! I love their higher-pitched voices, too!

Another of my hens has decided to sit. She seems more serious about it than her sister, because I took away everyone's eggs (three laying hens are brooding, at current) and she's sitting determinedly on nothing. I wish they'd have gotten this bug a couple of months ago. Not sure I can talk DH into letting me give them eggs right now.

I forgot I had taken pics a couple of weeks ago.

Sven is so good about posing when I tell him to hold still.

Nice birds and that is a gorgeous rooster. I'd keep them around if i could.

Last edited:
Thanks Mike and Kathleen.

Kathleen, I lean toward the boys with a good temperament and respect toward me, above all else. They must respect me and be good to their hens or they go bye bye. Secondary traits I prefer are intelligence and nice body carriage or unique color. Hope that helps even a tiny bit. My extras usually go to freezer camp or get given away as barnyard mix roos.

Absolutely agree. They treat their girls right, not too rough, guard the flock well, keep the girls together and don't even think about flogging me. Sad part is they go down in battle with predators if I'm not close by, but they did there job well. Have lost 3 Rooster that way. So many predators up here.

Thanks Turkeyrangler. Re the small chick thing - I have had two like that. Thy just fail to thrive and I think they may have something wrong internally, because both chicks I had were constanty crying. One passed on it's own but the other was one I had to put down myself and I remember crying before and after the deed, even though the chick seemed very peaceful while I was holding it. I think it knew I was trying to help it. It's definitely better for them to not have to suffer.

Edit: I take no responsibility for silly typos. Ridiculous phone.

So, Red and Turkey, I've been having crying chicks too! I had one die as well. Not sure what is going on- it's like they have chick colic. It was driving me nuts, and I felt terrible and worried about more dying. I started feeding them plain yogurt and it settled them right down. They have been quiet, slept peacefully and been a lot happier (I'm assuming), plus, they look healthier and none of them have died that were previously crying. It's great! Maybe try it and see if it helps.

Quiet chicks are happy chicks from everything I've learned and read. They will let you know if they need help. I use vitamins with electrolytes, probiotics,and good chick feed. Just make sure their temps are good and that handles most of the issues. Give them plenty of stress free time including you checking on them , but do pick them up often and let them know that you are a safe zone for them to relax gently. Just safe love and caring. They will respond from what I've seen.

Last edited:
Quiet chicks are happy chicks from everything I've learned and read. They will let you know if they need help. I use vitamins with electrolytes, probiotics,and good chick feed. Just make sure their temps are good and that handles most of the issues. Give them plenty of stress free time including you checking on them , but do pick them up often and let them know that you are a safe zone for them to relax gently. Just safe love and caring. They will respond from what I've seen.

That was way too vague. I'm gone from 7:30am to 5:00pm every day. I must a plan well in advance to make sure most everyone has a good day including the chicks. What I do is make sure that everyone is fed and watered before I leave. Make sure the temps are right for the age of the chicks in the brooder. At the end of the day check their butts as often as you can. If it's pasty clean it and continue with the probiotics as often as you can.

Back
Top Bottom