Icelandic Chickens

We have fresh snow on the mountain tops, but the ground is all brown dead grass waiting for the ground to thaw so it can grow. I did see a few bits of green in amongst the brown around the edges of the house. I don't think the temps dropped below 32 in a few days, but with all this cloud cover I don't think it's gotten about 38 either.

There's always next week.

Ok, now I have this one named. Only 11 more to go...

Meet Eldvör which means Beware of Fire (She is named after my friend with the same haircolor and similar attitude
wink.png
)

25270_2_pam.jpg

Quote:
Thanks Mary, I feel like they are all that way.

So many colors and they are all little helicopters. DD was helping with pics last night and we had one that would fly up out of her hands, make a circle like a halo around her head and then land back in her hands. Too cute.

I can hardly wait for that Halo effect !
lau.gif
gig.gif

Michelle that is going to be a very elegant pullet, as everyone says she skipped right over the gawky gangly stage to the charm school grad.

Last edited:
Nature vs Nurture.

All of my Helo-raptors to date have been 'bator hatched and placed in a brooder. No mama's.
This time I have 7 little ones in the silkie pen with the broody who hatched them.

I am hoping to get a glimpse into whether there will be a difference in the behaviors of the Icelandics raised by Silkies.
There are 3 Silkie roos in that pen and 5 Silkie hens including the mama who hatched them.

All of the adult Silkies are showing an interest in the chicks and allow them to intermingle during feeding time and at the waterer. Mama is very patient with her pen mates and I have only been present for one hen-pecking when the 2nd Leiutenant (sp?) hen got a little too friendly with the chicks and Ozzie (broody mama) took her out. Otherwise, all is calm.

Part of me thinks that this is a good idea cause I love the whole nature v nurture argument to begin with. The other part of me, the one that wears the Preservation hat, thinks that this is not in the best interest of the Preservation movement. If our goal were simply to bump up the numbers, then we'd be in good shape. But I imagine that our goal extends farther than that and into their behavior and all of those things which make them unique and amazing.

Any thoughts on either the nature v nurture outcome or the raising of Icelandics by other breeds?

I have ahd similar talks with myself. Fortunately, we didn't argue, much.
lol.png

At any rate, I have 5 acres, 3 of which is a big fenced pasture. The previous owners bred and raised Boxers, beautiful dogs but very athletic. The property is fenced for dog containment. I am thinking that if the "pasture" fence kept the dogs in, it will also keep the neighbor dogs out
fl.gif
Our plan is to build the new coop in the "pasture" and let the Icelandics do whatever Icelandics do. I will not be picking breeding pairs, I'm going to let them choose their own little groups. Also, much of the "pasture" is grass but there are birch and alders too. I figure they can be incubated and brooded indoors, then I'll introduce them to the outside and let them do as they will. I won't let anyone set eggs till late Spring next year as the winter temps won't allow that to work out, but for the most part, they will be in or out as they choose, they can "graze" and scratch where they choose, and if they decide to take up residence on a low branch, so be it! We'll get to enjoy them as yard ornaments, tree ornaments... anything goes for those little cuties.

Back
Top Bottom