Icelandic Chickens

I have a strange request, I am trying to track down someone who sold Icelandic hatching eggs to Muddy Hoof Farm in Lubec Maine. It was 2 or 3 years ago. I bought hatching eggs from her and at the time was not worried about the line as I was not going to be selling any. Things have changed, I have a small flock of 3 hens and a roo and am now hatching their eggs. I plan on selling eggs and chicks after I build up a good flock. Was hoping someone would remember if they did sell them and what line. Only thing I know for sure is that they came from Ohio. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
As far as I know, there are not any Icelandic Chicken shows. No, they are not recognized by the APA, they are Icelandic Chickens by DNA, not a man made SOP.

Thanks! I thought so, in fact that is one of the reasons I love them so much! Created by God, and not manipulated by man! Beautiful!

There have been some shown at the 4-H fair here by a family that also shows their Icelandic sheep. They are not recognized by the APA so no sanctioned shows for them.

Wee Acre Farm,
welcome-byc.gif
and to the wonderful world of Icelandics.
Sorry, can't help on your search for your flock's history except to say I know they didn't come from me.
We'd love to see some pictures of them.

I have a strange request, I am trying to track down someone who sold Icelandic hatching eggs to Muddy Hoof Farm in Lubec Maine. It was 2 or 3 years ago. I bought hatching eggs from her and at the time was not worried about the line as I was not going to be selling any. Things have changed, I have a small flock of 3 hens and a roo and am now hatching their eggs. I plan on selling eggs and chicks after I build up a good flock. Was hoping someone would remember if they did sell them and what line. Only thing I know for sure is that they came from Ohio. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry, can't help. I know it wasn't me.

If the stock came from Ohio more then 3-4 years ago chances are good that they are descended from the original import. There were two as I understand it.

I wish that there were more of those here now who used to be active here, Sheriff Mary, Kathyinmo, lots of them who could shed some light on your chickens.

I wish they'd check in from time to time, I miss their input.

If the stock came from Ohio more then 3-4 years ago chances are good that they are descended from the original import. There were two as I understand it.

I wish that there were more of those here now who used to be active here, Sheriff Mary, Kathyinmo,  lots of them who could shed some light on your chickens.

I wish they'd check in from time to time, I miss their input.

I miss them too, Jake.

How to get them back for questions like this??

The several first posts on the thread have a lot of origin information but after that it spreads out through the threads. I really wish we had the Sheriff and Kathyinmo here from time to time. Would also like to see Kathy on the Delaware thread. Are they both well? Doing alright?

Hey Wee Acre Farm,

I am in Ohio and would imagine that the line that Muddy Hoof obtained was from Behl's importation. To my best of my knowledge I do not know of anyone in Ohio that had Sigrid's importation in that time frame. You may wish to join and ask your question in the Icelandic Chicken Facebook group, all the people who are responsible for the importations of Icelandics to the US are fairly active on there and may be able to help you discern where your flock originated. Do you have any blues in your flock?

This is a dumb question, but there are no icelandic "shows" are there? And they are not accepted by the APA as far as know right? I am not interested in showing personally, but someone was asking me about them and I wanted to make sure I gave the right answer! Thanks!
You can show anything, of course it would help if there were a standard you could supply for the judge. In this case, I don't think there would be much for the judge to go on.

A non-standard breed or color can be best of their breed or variety, but then that's as far as they can go in the show. I show a couple of fairly rare breeds (lakenvelder and campine), I rarely have competition even though they are APA recognized breeds. But I feel like the only way to generate interest in a breed is to keep them out there for people to see.

I know a few people have taken their Iowa Blues to shows recently.

Deb

Back
Top Bottom