Icelandic Chickens

Since Icelandics can't be shown - do Poultry shows allow a grouping of birds just for exhibition only (no showing/no judging) just so people can see what they are like?

I think they used to do that at dog shows but, mainly for old, retired champions so people could see the quality held up over the years.

We have a local fair coming up soon and I was wondering if I should show my Icelandics? What class might they be in?

You could actually show them as an AOSB (all other standard breed). Many fairs have a class for All Other Large Fowl & Bantam. It's really just a catch all class. They won't be eligible to do any thing other than win their class. But if you want to show for fun you usually can.

There is no standard for them and the judge most likely will have never seen one. Basically the judge will look them over for general disqualifications, then most likely judge the class based on condition. It's still fun to bring your bird and have it on display for other people to see.

Sometimes people will print out some information about the breed and hang it on the front of their cage. Some fairs will leave it as educational, some will take it down because it's "not allowed".

Have fun, I've seen lots of non standard breeds and colors shown.

I notice a couple of my chicks look almost lightly beardy or muffy. Are those things possibilities among Icelandics, or are thely likely just a little extra fluffy? So fun to watch them feather out. :D One of the lighter chicks is feathering outcmostly black right now, with honeyish highlights. Surprise!

I notice a couple of my chicks look almost lightly beardy or muffy. Are those things possibilities among Icelandics, or are thely likely just a little extra fluffy? So fun to watch them feather out.
big_smile.png
One of the lighter chicks is feathering outcmostly black right now, with honeyish highlights. Surprise!

I've never seen or heard of one with a beard either.

You could actually show them as an AOSB (all other standard breed).  Many fairs have a class for All Other Large Fowl & Bantam.  It's really just a catch all class.  They won't be eligible to do any thing other than win their class.  But if you want to show for fun you usually can.

There is no standard for them and the judge most likely will have never seen one.  Basically the judge will look them over for general disqualifications, then most likely judge the class based on condition.  It's still fun to bring your bird and have it on display for other people to see.

Sometimes people will print out some information about the breed and hang it on the front of their cage.  Some fairs will leave it as educational, some will take it down because it's "not allowed".

Have fun, I've seen lots of non standard breeds and colors shown.

We have a AOSB class. Im gonna show them then! I just want to show my birds cus I think they're kinda purty lol! I dont care if they dont really get judged.

Here is a nice diagram of vaulted and non-vaulted skulls: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/435248/vaulted-skulls/0_100#post_5395126.

Thanks for all the info, I'm wondering if her skull is actually vaulted at all? I've no experience IDing one way or the other, but judging by the diagrams, I would think it would be pretty prominent, and I'm not feeling/seeing that. I tried to wet the crest down to show what I mean, aside from shaving her head, I'm stumped lol! Thanks again to everyone with input! :)

She was terribly unhappy, suggestions to get a better shot of the suspected vault?

Since Icelandics can't be shown - do Poultry shows allow a grouping of birds just for exhibition only (no showing/no judging) just so people can see what they are like?

I think they used to do that at dog shows but, mainly for old, retired champions so people could see the quality held up over the years.
In Iceland they show the birds, and everyone that attends gets a vote. Rather interesting and fun.

Back
Top Bottom