Icelandic Chickens

As some of you might recall, I had four broodies a few weeks ago and gave them each two eggs. Only one of them managed to stay on her nest and not "relocate" to a different one on occasion.
That was Gula, a Falki x Fjola pullet that won't be a year old until the first week of October. Last night she was cooing on the nest so this morning I moved her and her two chicks into a separate pen. Hopefully the others will hatch in the next day or so and the eggs didn't suffer too much from their lackadaisical attitudes.

Here is Gula with her two cuties...

As some of you might recall, I had four broodies a few weeks ago and gave them each two eggs. Only one of them managed to stay on her nest and not "relocate" to a different one on occasion.
That was Gula, a Falki x Fjola pullet that won't be a year old until the first week of October. Last night she was cooing on the nest so this morning I moved her and her two chicks into a separate pen. Hopefully the others will hatch in the next day or so and the eggs didn't suffer too much from their lackadaisical attitudes.

Here is Gula with her two cuties...

SO BEAUTIFUL!

I ended up with 5 out of 9. So not too bad. But three died for some reason...the other two are perfectly healthy. But the three that died were just fine and then five minutes later they'd be dead.
sad.png
I'm sorry, very odd.

Haha, thanks. I am more positive about him each day. I sorted suspected cockerels/pullets today. Ended up with 9/8, which would be statistically most probable. I got really sad thinking about letting so many cockerels go, though. Think I could keep 2 assuming I do have 8+ pullets? Peg is the most friendly and outgoing of the entire bunch, so feel like he is the natural roo choice. Sure are some other handsome fella suspects, though.

Back
Top Bottom